SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Banana Help Needed - Randy, are you there?

soonergrandmom
15 years ago

A friend was visiting a couple of months ago and asked me if I would like a banana plant. I don't think it was his, but that someone had offered it to him. A few days later, it showed up on my front step and I got the idea that it had just come out of the ground. It was not in a pot, but still had soil around the roots. I put some potting mix in the bottom of a pot just a little bigger than the root structure and added additional around the edges of the roots. I think he must have brought it over in his truck because the two leaves on this plant were shreaded into small strips. I did a little research and learned that as long as they were green that they were still helping the plant. They eventually turned brown and fell over, but two new leaves had formed before that happened and they look healthy.

My problem - I don't know what kind of banama plant this is. I don't know if it can live outside. Should I leave it in a pot, but put it outside for the summer? I may not be experienced enoujgh to keep it alive anyway, but I know I can't without some help. LOL I have two outside locations that are somewhat sheltered. It looks like the wind would be a real enemy. What about sun? Or....do I just need to find a BIG corner in my house for this thing. It is about 3-4 feet tall right now.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus