SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kparker_gw

Nikko Blue mop head dead?

kparker
18 years ago

Hi everyone!

I live in Oklahoma City, OK, and last August I planted a beautiful (albeit small) Nikko Blue 'mop head' hydrangea, which I had seen growing very well in some of the City's older gardens (Crown Heights). We planted it in partial shade close to the house, and it did pretty well.

In October, after it was done blooming, I removed the spent heads, which left just the main stem at about 8 inches tall. We did not water it over the winter, thinking it was simply dormant, and we had an extremely dry winter here.

Fast forward to February. My husband was out in the garden planting new stuff this February, and accidentally stepped on the old hydrangea stem, snapping it down to about 1 inch tall. It is now nearly May, and the plant has still not showed any signs of life---no new growth from the base or from the snapped off original stem.

My question is this: should the hydrangea have showed some signs of life by now? And if you think it is dead, please tell me whether it was because of the severe, accidental pruning, removing the spent heads at the wrong time, or not watering it over the winter.

This is my absolute favorite plant (my wedding bouquet was all blue hydrangea), and I would appreciate any insight into my problems with it so that I can prevent Nikko Blue hydrangea fatalities in the future!

Thank you!

-kparker

Comments (3)