SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

This Morning: 37 Degrees and Frost

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

With a forecast overnight low of 45 degrees, I was a little "antsy" last night knowing that here in our low-lying location close to the river there was a very good chance we'd hit 40 or lower. We did.

I awakened to 39 degrees and frost and eventually the temperature dropped to 37. By then I had washed the frost off all my veggie garden plants---veggies, herbs and flowers. It is too soon to know if the frost damaged anything but some of the in-ground tomato plants that are between 2 and 3 feet tall looked like they might have sustained some frost damage. I don't expect major damage or, perhaps I should say I hope there isn't major damage.

How heavy was the frost? It coated the car windshield heavily enough that you'd need an ice scraper to remove it.

Of course frost this late in the year is frustrating, but I assure you that in light of the death and destruction across Alabama and other parts of the south from yesterday's storms, I know I should not even be whining about a little frost damage. My heart goes out to all of those affected by the southern tornado outbreak this week.

I thought about covering up at least the rows of corn, beans and tomatoes with floating row cover last night but I didn't do it. We still have a bit of wind until just after sunset so it would have been hard to manage the row covers alone in the wind, and once the sun was down and the wind had completely stopped blowing, it was too dark to go into the garden because of the risk of snakes.

I hope no one else had frost or freeze damage.

Dawn

Comments (18)

• joellenh
    12 years ago

Oh no Dawn that's terrible!

I hope everything makes it through okay.

Jo

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jo, Thanks. This is not unprecedented. We have had frost damage the first week in May for the last 3 or 4 years. That doesn't mean I have to like it though!

I really think I hosed off the plants quickly enough to prevent much damage. I'll know in a couple of hours.

Larry, I carried my flats of peppers back into the garage last night so they should be fine because it is very well-insulated.

The frequent late frosts here are why I always plant peppers a bit late. In recent years I've put them in the ground either the first week of May or at the very end of April. I used to plant them a lot earlier, but they suffered so much cold damage that I go later with them now and that seems to give me earlier, not later, production since they aren't exposed to cold nighttime temps.

All the little hummers were eagerly buzzing around the flowers and the hummingbird feeders. I imagine they didn't appreciate this mornings cool temperatures and frost any more than the plants did.

Dawn

• Related Discussions

Frost at 45 degrees

Q

Comments (3)
    OK sounds like you have been maintaining your Empire Zoysia too high to start with because the recommended cutting height is 1 to 2 inches. So armed with that info cut no higher than 2 inches, and no lower than 1 inch with a rotary mower. Relax when you see it starting to green up apply some slow release urea 15-10-5 fertilizer at a rate 6 pounds of product per 1000/ft2. Be careful with Zoysia not to kill it with kindness by applying too much fertilizer. You only need two application per growing season. If you push too much fertilizer on it will cause excessive thatch problems which leads to insect, disease, and fungal problems all of which can kill the grass. With Zoysia it is a good idea to de-thatch your lawn once a year as it tends to be a heavy thatcher. The grass blades are very tough, and the clippings decay very slowly. Keep your mulch mower blades sharp so it chops up the clippings into little pieces. So keep your eye out for thatch.
    ...See More

20 degrees this morning, frost everywhere!

Q

Comments (14)
    28 degrees here last night. Yes even in California the weather is unkind at times:) I'm so sick of the weather fluctuations and this long, cold spring we're having I could scream. 29 tonight and then we should be seeing a warming trend after that. I brought the smaller potted roses into the laundry room last night. The others onto the front porch with a frost cover and left my little portable greenhouse out back zipped up tight. Everything seems fine so far. I will probably try to plant some mini's this weekend if for no other reason than I need the space to start seeding vegetables in my wee greenhouse. Kate
    ...See More

Brr Cold 37 This Morning

Q

Comments (2)
    Martin, I see right now, what you really need is some East Tx. Gophers to help you maintain that beautiful yard! A mound here & a mound there would greatly enhance that Golf Course looking yard! I could trap you a Male & Female pair,they have a lot in common with rabbits if ya get the drift. I already have your address so we know where to send them! Do I need to set my traps for that kindly offer? Your East Tx Friend ;) Cecil
    ...See More

3" snow yesterday morn .. 18 degrees this morning

Q

Comments (25)
    I know that so many of you have had a long, cold winter, ....but I'm glad it wasn't me this year. ;-) Usually I still have snow while other zone 5ers are posting their pips, but this year I've got hostas in various stages of growth, and they're eager to get going. Here's a couple of the biggest ones near the house: Satisfaction Arc de Triomphe Our last (average) frost date is just under a month away, mid May, so I'm hoping for the best because I won't baby them if the temps get low. And some early tulips just because they're so pretty!
    ...See More
  • slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

Dawn, I am sorry to hear about the frost. Like you, my heart goes out to the flood and tornado victims. I don't have a lot, but I have a lot more than nothing.

I was a little uneasy last night also thinking I should carry in my peppers. They are still in my pup-tent and look OK.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear it Dawn. I was worried too, but unlike you, we live on a hill so cold air drains away. It often frosts in the valley a mile south of us but not here. We just had dew. Hope everything comes out of it good.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My plants all seem fine this afternoon. I think washing off the frost before sunrise must have helped. I suppose I had neighbors driving by on their way to work wondering why I was outside watering the garden with a hose when there's mud and standing water everywhere.

We have a similar night coming up next week. Grrrr.

Dorothy, I'm the fool who lives in the valley, and even down lower than that in a creek hollow in the valley! It was our choice. We looked at the hilltops here, but they tend to have white limestone and more of a caliche' clay and I didn't want that. (Not that I specifically "wanted" red clay either.)

Susan, That's awful. What is wrong with them and why don't they have storm warning systems? The south has tons of tornadoes.

I did hear that Tuscaloosa heeded the warnings of the NWS and weather broadcasters like The Weather Channel and local TV mets and most schools gave the kids the day off so they'd be with their families and not at school or on the way to/from school. Some employers gave their employees the day off or at least the afternoon off.

I wonder if most folks there don't have tornado shelters or safe rooms? I bet when they rebuild their demolished homes, they'll put in shelters and safe rooms! I was watching all of that storm craziness unfold on The Weather Channel and at times they had footage of tornadoes live as they were approaching towns. Watching them made my stomach churn.

I feel so bad for them. The death toll is just huge. I wonder if that's due to a lack of storm shelters? So many people lost pretty much everything they owned. I can't imagine starting over with nothing, but then, at least they survived and they have each other.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I sure hope all your plants are okay, Dawn! No frost here where I am in the City, but it was just a tad brisk!

I really felt bad for the folks in Alabama. One of the news stations reported that they have no warning systems in place like Oklahoma does.

Susan

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

No frost here but way too much water on things. My spinach which looked fantastic two days ago after the rain has now just drooped down to the ground. The newest leaves are not all dead, but the outside leaves are wilted to the ground and I'm sure will rot. The lettuce doesn't look too good either, but I have 3 types of chard that appear to be holding up fine along with some chinese greens and pak choy. The ground is just too wet.

I gave a dozen tomato plants to a friend this morning who had lost of hers. I think I may have to replace a few as well but there is no need to do it while the ground is so wet.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Carol, I am sorry to hear about your plants. There really is such as thing as too much water, unfortunately.

We sure have had our share of the weather challenges. We haven't had way too much rain at our house, but after four separate rounds of hail, everything in my garden looks bruised, broken and beat up.

Down here at our end of the state it is supposed to be hot and windy tomorrow, which ought to help dry out the lower part of the garden where is it still very mucky and muddy. I haven't planted anything in that lower part of the garden yet. Ever since 2009's April deluge, I wait until the first week in May to plant that low area since it drains so poorly. However storms are in our forecast for Sunday, so I don't know if the low area will have a chance to dry out or not.

Is there any form of weather we haven't had here in Oklahoma since January? If so, don't mention it y'all. We don't want to give the weather maker any ideas.

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Larry, I don't think you're that old yet, but it does seem like you and yours have had your share of illness this year. I sure hope things start getting better for you.

Even if you were serious, it made me laugh. Carol

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

I cant remember my garden being any wetter.

My wife wanted a flower bed made and planted today. I told her it was too wet but she is antsy about her upcoming trip to Scott and White so I made a flower bed. I used some reclaimed soil from the garden. It was like wet cement so I mixed enough potting soil in it to make it a little like soil. It smelled like a hog pen but we put flowers in it anyway. She tried to help but was not able to do much. She told me "next year you can plant sweet potatoes in this bed also".

Its tough getting to the age when you go to the Doctor or a funeral almost as often as you go to the grocery store.

Larry

• slowpoke_gardener
    12 years ago

Carol, DW and I are doing rather well, sorta like an old car, we run good when we run, we just spent too much time in the shop.

I am 67, Madge is 72. I have parents in their 80's that I try to look after and I run a little short of time quite often. To make matters worse I'm so blooming slow it takes me all day to fall down.

Larry

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Dawn odd that you were colder than we were Thursday morning. Sat night through Monday nights are supposed to be in the low to mid 30's here. I had decided it was going to be a warm spring and have a few large plants. They are holding in the cold frame. I need to pot up the last trays. The problem is where to put what I pot up. The lean to greenhouse should arrive today. Not sure how much I can do on it with the winds 25-30 gusting higher. I'm off next Wed to help with the last track meet. Wed morning plants are going in the ground regardless. I will try to get a few Wall O Waters up to start warming up. The problem is that some of my plants will be to the top already. The later plants will probably be about right. I was pushing them feeling they would be late. Will go back to a 16-8 cycle on the lights now probably. Hope everyone survives the next cold spell. I had a tall plant in the frame get bit when the top was touching the glass. So had to dig out a little for it. In the end I may get plants out 7-10 days before last year. The potatoes that got hit 2 weeks ago haven't shown much regrowth. The late potatoes are still small enough I can cover them if the wind doesn't blow off the mulch. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay,

Our odd weather irritates me! It isn't fair that with an average last frost date for my county of March 27th, there I sat with frost on the morning of April 28th, is it? Our forecast for Sunday night is for 44, and I bet I have frost early Monday morning too unless that forecast changes. I'll be ready this time and will either cover up tender vegetation or have the sprinkler in place and ready to turn on briefly in the early morning hours to wash the frost off the plants.

You know, I wouldn't mind the odd weather so much if we were 5 or 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding area in summer, but sadly that doesn't happen.

Our first August here, we had a heat wave where the highs varied from 108 to 111 (113 in nearby Ardmore) for about a week....and Tim's relatives from Pennsylvania were in town visiting and they were just dying in the heat. In Fort Worth, we rarely got above 105, so 108 to 111 was a huge shock. Then, we had an "early" hard killing freeze before the end of September. Yet, some years we don't have a killing frost until mid-December. If any of you can figure out my weather and explain it to me, please do so!

Y'all are burdened with the wild wind lately, aren't you? Does the wind ever stop blowing there?

Gordon Graham, who you might remember as the grower of the world's largest tomato on record, used to stack two Wall-O-Waters on top of each other to protect tall plants. If I remember correctly, he put wooden surveyor's stakes inside the first WOW, hammered into the ground, for support. After the first WOW was filled, he'd place the second one on top and then fill it. Although it didn't say (that I can recall) in his little "how to grow large tomatoes" booklet, I always assumed he used 3' tall stakes so that they would give partial support to the second WOW and keep it from collapsing inward on top of the plant.

If you have Marvin Meisner's "Giant Tomatoes" book, which is the best book I've read on growing tomatoes in general whether you want to grow large tomatoes or normal ones, there is a reprint of Gordon Graham's little booklet near the end of the book.

My potato plants that got bit back a couple of weeks ago have finally shown some good regrowth. I was starting to wonder if they would. Chalk it up to the weather that see-saws wildly from one extreme to another. I'd be confused if I were a plant too.

I'm excited that you'll be getting your plants in the ground soon. It never feels like spring is really here until you're out slaving away in the garden planting your tomatoes. That's when I feel winter truly has ended.

I hope this week's cold spell is the last. However, since we had June type temperatures earlier in April, who knows what the weather will do next?

We've never had frost or freeze damage here after May 3rd or 4th, so I'm eager for those days to get here so I can stop worrying about it.

Dawn

• miraje
    12 years ago

I'm wondering if I need to construct little temporary greenhouses for my transplants. We haven't been getting frost, but the 40 degree lows night after night can't be good for them. The wind's not really helping, either.

They were nice and green when I planted them on Saturday, and now they're looking a little yellow and sad. They've been getting water, so now I can only guess that it's either not enough fertilizer or that they're getting too cold. They got their first dose of Miracle Grow yesterday, but the wind today is probably doing a number on them. Poor things. :(

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

miraje - They sometimes look weak when they first go in the ground but if you will watch the very top of the plant, green will start to appear and you know the roots are taking up nutrients. Blocking the wind might help them.

I have had some wind also but mine have been hurt more by too much water than by too much wind

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do think the slight yellowing is probably just more of a sign of a tiny bit of transplant shock plus maybe the "wind abuse". Newly transplanted plants often look a little unhappy the first week or so they are in the ground and then they perk up and begin putting out new growth.

If you have tomato cages around your tomatoes, you can wrap the cages with 4mm or 6mm clear plastic. I buy it in rolls at Lowe's or Home Depot. I just wrap it around the cage and tape the plastic together with duct tape. It isn't very attractive but it blocks the wind.

Normally I only wrap the cages if very cold weather--near freezing--threatens because I have a lot of tomatoes and it is a lot of cages to wrap. Once I've gone to the trouble of wrapping them, I don't unwrap them until I feel the risk of a cold night has passed. I'd rather leave them unwrapped if I can because the wind movement helps them form big thick main stems.

There are other ways to block the wind. You can cut the bottoms out of black nursery pots (or cat litter buckets or 5-gallon-buckets) and partially sink one into the ground around each plant). You have to sink each bucket or pot into the ground 3 or 4" deep so the wind cannot blow them away. If you use cat litter buckets or 5-gallon buckets with lids, you can put the lids on them at night to keep frost off the plants. They'll block the plants from wind until the plants are tall enough to grow out of them. Paula has flashing wrapped around hers for wind protection---I noticed that while admiring her new raised beds today that Ken built beside the house.

Once the plants are large enough that the foliage touches the plastic, you have to be aware that if freezing temps occur, any part of the plant touching the plastic likely will freeze even if the plants inside the buckets have a warm air pocket around them. I've lost the tips of branches that touch the buckets even though the rest of the plants survived.

If the weather would just behave itself, we wouldn't have to worry about our plants! I am expecting frost one or two more nights in the next 5 days, and then my plants should be home-free, if they survive. And if they don't survive, I'm going to be a really unhappy camper.

Oh, and when I say I am expecting frost, I don't mean it in a meteorological way. I'm not that technically gifted. I mean that my forecast shows one night at 44, which in our creek hollow likely will be 37 or 38, and one night at 39, which likely will be 32 or 33. Based on recent history, my last frost (for the last three years prior to this year) has occurred around May 3rd-4th, so these cold nights in the forecast seem to be hinting it will happen again here for the fourth year in a row.

This is not the weather I expected with an ave. last frost date of March 28th, but nevertheless, it appears that it is the weather I have.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

It looks like I am in trouble also with two consecutive nights of probable 39. I thought our nights below 40 were a thing of the past for this Spring but I guess not. I think Mother Nature is off her meds.

• miraje
    12 years ago

My temporary solution was to tie rubbermaid bin lids up against the rabbit fence/chicken wire around the tomatoes. It doesn't block all the wind and isn't all that attractive, but it helps. I'll probably find something else tomorrow since we're supposed to be so cold the next few days. I have some big plastic ice cream pails that should work nicely.