SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Mystery Hillerman angraecum -- ID help please

bcfromfl
15 years ago

Hi everyone --

Several years ago, I had the good fortune to claim this unusual angraecum. It originally came from Fred Hillerman's nursery, and despite its small size, is very old. Unfortunately, Hillerman's tag had faded years earlier, hence the mystery. I'm guessing it's now in the neighborhood of 30-35 years old.

A couple years ago I sent photos to Hoosier to see if they could help identify it, since they acquired Hillerman's stock, but they were unable to offer a likely ID. I also sent the photos to CalOrchids, who forwarded it to an individual in Africa. His best guess was Angcm. triquetrum, but he didn't feel that was a good match.

What I'm hoping is to find contact information for either Joyce Stewart, Johan Hermans, or Bob Campbell, as they are probably the best bet to ID this plant. Any ideas where I might track down any of these individuals?

The blooms aren't waxy like some angraecums -- they are more thin and filmy. Each inflorescence produces only a single bud. The browning you see on the tips is the result of water drops. (Should have moved it out of the gh when they opened.) Similarly, the leaves are not succulent-like (such as the Perrierangraecums), they are more similar to Angcm. magdalenae, for example. Roots are thin and wiry. There is very little fragrance...just a hint of one at night. There are two basal growths from the main stem, and it's growing now the best it has ever done. It was so tiny and stunted when I first brought it home...I think it had actually been in a slow decline for ten years or so.

I suppose it may be one of Hillerman's odd crosses, but I hope it's an unusual species that was made available in the 1970s or early '80s.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

-Bruce

Comments (5)