SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Best time to move newly planted Autumn Fern?

Back in mid-June I planted an Autumn Fern (Dryopteris erythrosora) under a big white pine about ten feet from two other established Autumn Ferns. Conditions are good there for the ferns and the older ones (planted several years ago) are thriving.

The new fern seemed to be thriving too, until mid-July when I went out to get the paper one morning and saw the new fern was flattened. Totally splat against the ground. I put a little fence around it and propped up the fronds and it seems to be recovering, putting out new fronds.

The problem is that I think a turkey(s) either sat on it or landed on it from the pine tree branches above. The "wild" turkeys have taken lately to having a siesta in that area (it's near the bird-feeding venue) and I've also seen the hen and youngsters jumping around in the pine tree.

I want to move the fern over to a less-trafficked area closer to the other ferns before the turkeys flatten it again. The question is when? The fern has been in the ground about two months so it has started spreading roots but is probably not well established. I don't want to stress it any more than necessary. I'll keep the fence around it until it's moved.

Should I move it in the fall? As I remember the older ferns kept green foliage through most of of the winter so I don't know how dormant they were. We don't get much snow cover in the usual winters and fall is long lasting.

Or wait until early spring when the fiddleheads first appear? Spring is very slow to come here.

The turkeys are here all winter and early spring until their breeding season when they disappear to nest.

All suggestions/experiences are welcome.

Thanks,

Claire

Comments (5)