SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Building a Better Tomato Trap

seedmama
14 years ago

What self-induced gardening agony do you bring on every year?

Me? It's tomatoes from seed. Every year I swear I'm not going to do it again next year, especially by the time I get to hardening off.

I've grown tomatoes inside successfully for years, and yet apparently I can't be satisfied with the success. I feel the need to "improve" the process for one reason or another every year. Last year I made the leap from a dozen or so plants to 180. That wasn't necessarily an improvement, but it was a change. My set up wasn't really designed for that, so at the last minute I was hanging fluorescents over both dining room tables. It made for a very unattractive spring, Easter dinner on laps and a very unhappy spousal unit. (He's an architect and has a high need for things to be attractive. I like things attractive too, but my natural, genetic, Scottish inclination is toward practical and functional.)

The dining room environment was perfect, with plenty of air movement and cooler temps. The watering was difficult and took me about two hours every night. So this year, I got a shelving unit and moved everything to the utility room next to the sink. I'm watering differently and it takes much less time. However, I tinkered with enough other established processes that I'm a nervous wreck, especially since I'm giving the bulk of the seedlings to Cub Scouts to sell for camp money. The pressure of now being "commercial" versus knowing I could give away what I didn't kill has really changed the game for me.

Because of quantity, I started seeds in the coffee filter/baggie fashion. I was pleased with that and will do it again next year. It kept me from having multiple seedlings in pot and eliminated empty pots. By my estimation it was faster to pot up each individual sprout than it was to separate last year's twin seedlings. I just don't have the heart to pinch of a duplicate.

Last year I started the seeds in half filled 9 oz cups. My reasoning was that as seedlings grew I could add soil to the cup and eliminate repotting. What I didn't count on was the inability to get the sprouts very close to the light when the soil is only halfway up the cup. So it worked, but I wasn't entirely satisfied. Had to monkey with the process.

This year, I first put sprouts in 3 oz plastic "Dixie" size cups, with the intention of potting up into the 9 oz when necessary. This was okay until the plants got busy growing. I've had a really hard time keeping the moisture regulated in such small cups until I could finish potting up. And it appears I'm going to have to pot up again into Solo cups. I've never had to pot up a second time, and I'm especially surprised because I sowed two weeks later than last year.

Mostly the utility room stays cooler than the rest of the house which is good, but when the dryer is warm the temps make me fear damp off. The air circulation is not as good as in the dining room, but the spousal unit is pleased to have the mess contained out of sight on a tile floor. He hasn't admitted it, but I think what he really likes about the setup is how I disappear for long periods and he gets full control of the remote.

Another change I made inadvertently was to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix with fertilizer already in it. I've always used Pro-Mix, and I'll skip the details on how I grabbed the MG, but the fact that my potting mix has fertilizer in it has me on edge as well.

So, what do you do to give yourself grief?

Seedmama

Comments (6)