SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17349468

Runner Beans

User
11 years ago

Hello All -As an introduction, I am a relatively new (5 year) resident of the PNW. Before moving here, I lived and gardened in OK for 20 years. I went thru the Master Gardener program there but have discovered that I am learning to garden all over again. I live at 1000ft elevation in the Cascade foothills and we avg 100in of rain and the occasional several ft of snow. Quite a difference from hot, humid central OK! This year I finally was able to garden year round outside and am learning to use my new greenhouse.

I have 2 questions:

1. I am harvesting a huge crop of Scarlet Runner beans now. Having never grown pole beans before, I was wondering about how to deal with the pods. I seem to have 2 kinds of beans growing from the same seed. Some vines produced red flowers and I got some white flowers also. I have beans that are 10 inches long by 1/2inch wide with huge purple pods and other beans that size that have very immature pods. There are also beans with smaller white pods. Do you have to leave the beans on the vine until the pods are dry or can you pick them and let the pods dry or just eat them fresh? I don't understand why I have so many beans that are huge and no pods.

2. Tomato Blight! Does this manifest itself by vines dying from the base and the tomatoes turning brown and hard. I tried growing some of the Northern varieties outside this year. I got a few good tomatoes and then this struck about 6 weeks ago. The tomatoes that I'm growing in the greenhouse are producing heavily and are disease free.

Other than that, this seems to have been a perfect summer for gardening! I managed to grow more than the 2 of us could eat so I have been busy canning and freezing. How did all of the rest of you fare?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice and I look forward to future discussions with all of you. Sonja

Comments (5)