SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

plant blueberries like shrubs or vegetables?

plantslayer
10 years ago

Hello,

I bought three blueberry plants from a nursery recently (btw they are 40% off at Sky Nursery in Seattle; original price is high, but the plants are gorgeous) and followed the instructions that came with the plants when I put them in the ground.

As per the instructions, I gave the plants a 3x rootball width planting hole, and amended the hole with some store-bougth compost, then replaced the wood mulch that we have in that area. Other resources found online give the same instructions. I consider this similar to how I transplant vegetables (hence the title of this post).

HOWEVER, when I read about how to plant shrubs, the advice is to not amend the planting hole (or very little) and refill with the original soil.

So, blueberries on the one hand are wood shrubs? But they also supposedly have very shallow roots and a small root system. So does anyone know what the right way to plant them is?

I still have one in a pot, so if the "shrub" method is the best there is time to use it on one of the plants.

Comments (8)