SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

NH Fall Plant Swap

annie_nh
14 years ago

I have received a few emails inquiring when the NH Fall Plant Swap would be. I've picked the last Sunday in Sept. which is the 27th. If I hear from too many that this is not a good time I will change the date.

Annie

Comments (32)

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No issues here; I'm ready to dig stuff up NOW!

So far my list includes:

Some kind of pink malva
    Iris tubers- purple, short, bearded, no-name
    Seeds of this & that
    Milkweed- Common
    Coreopsis
    Shasta Daisy- Becky
    Siberian Iris- Purple
    Coleus Cuttings for anyone who wants to over-winter them and not have to buy them next year (originally from Rosy Dawn Gardens, but tags gone on most- these will all be medium-sized ones)
    Yarrow- A deep pink/magenta/wine red one
    Daylilies- various with or without names, but no common ditch lilies.
    Anise Hyssop
    I'll see what else I can find...

Looking forward to it!

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

The last sunday in September works for me.
    I am not quite sure what I am bringing yet but will list it as we get closer to the swap date.

mmqchdygg, I am glad you are bringing day lilies, I sure do need some, and I have been wondering where I could find some common milk weed!

• Related Discussions

fall plant swap

Q

Comments (33)
    Taking a breakfast break from digging today (everyone out there with bug spray on? UGH!) Found some Valerian that I'll bring. It's classified as an herb, but it's got the most wonderful white cluster flowers on it in late spring...4-5' tall, and oh-so-fragrant! It's like a sweet-musk scent...not disgusting, not overpowering, but it does waft throughout the garden. Quite nice when things are just starting in the early gardening months. Most things are currently in smallish pots- about 6" pots. Don't worry, though, I just haven't gotten to the big stuff yet...but I took some to work and no one brought my pots back >:( so I may end up bringing a lot in plastic grocery bags if that's not a problem. IShare- Glad I checked in this morning because I was chucking the shastas left & right just a few minutes ago, so I'll salvage those nice clumps for you. They may still be mad tomorrow since I did shake the dirt off the roots, but I'll water them back up and they'll be fine. Ok, I gotta get back out there; time's a wastin' while the rain isn't here (yet)
    ...See More

beginning to plan nh fall plant swap

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm just getting back from California that week but I should be ok for any of these days. I'll just have to make sure my plants are dug and potted before I go on vacation. I have a few daylillies that need dividing. I also have a small Purple Emperor Sedum that popped up in a strange place, so it might get brought along as well. Probably some foxgloves too.
    ...See More

Fall swaps in MA or Southern NH?

Q

Comments (2)
    Bump down.
    ...See More

NH Fall Plant Swap

Q

Comments (59)
    Hello Everyone, I will post here and on Annie's new thread. Diane, and pjhendrick, I am interested in any creeping phlox that are not already spoken for. Lisa, if no one has shown interest in the dwarf pine, please save for me. Daylilies - several were bringing them, mmqchdygg, I recall and a few others. I have all yellow. If you have any other colors for me to mix in, I would love one. I have promised a spider and a pothos plant to Blake. Will bring something for the table. Have other plants and garden related items to bring, just not fully organized yet... that is my afternoon activity! I do know that I will be bringing a number of Bugleweed Ajuga, Chocolate Chip, as well as a couple Blue Festuca (12" silver-blue foliage grass, grows anywhere! Very pretty no care plant) See you all Sunday. Susan
    ...See More
  • ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

mmqqhdygg,

I would love to have a start of milkweed, it's one of two plants that I would like and don't have yet. Whatcha looking for????

Annie, That weekend works for me too

Lisa

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Annie, I had a great time at the spring swap. Hope I can make it to the fall swap.

I'm curious about why people want common milkweed. Are you talking about the kind that grows in fields? Do you have a butterfly garden?

Would people be interested in saved seed from nasturtiums (including a climbing yellow one) and calendula etc?

• diane4000
    14 years ago

Sounds good to me, Annie!

I'll bring some perennials and miniature daffodil bulbs. I'll also brings seeds to swap if others are interested.

Diane

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

Sounds great. Will be my first time and I thought I wouldn't have anything to swap, but I totally forgot that I am covered up in purple Siberian Irises (and I have a white unusual SI that I need to divide and may not have any place to replant) and yellow spring dayliles (?Lemon Flava? or something or that sort). I'm trying to find people to take this stuff away, so it's heading to the swap! I also have a bearded-type of light purple/light yellow iris that I'm overrun with.

Yea! I have something to swap!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So good to hear from past swappers and from a newbee, Deanna.
    Deanna please email me and tell me where you are at in NH so that I can send you directions.
    DeFrost , I too was wondering about this sudden desire for milkweed. I have it growing in the field and now I have some in my garden which I am keeping because I think it will attract the monarch butterflies.
    Blake,I thought I gave you a white phlox because that was what you wanted. I have some white phlox so will pot some up for you if you still want it.
    Right now the weeds have overtaken my gardens.My vegetable garden is a disaster.the first beans and zucchini I planted just rotted. the tomato plants that I planted did nothing until about a week ago However I must say that the flowers have done wondrously in spite of the weeds. . I need the fall swap to get me back out there and weeding before you guys all arrive. I started today.Managed about an hour before the heat overtook me. I figure I have at least 30 days so a few hours at a time should get the worst of the weeds gone.
    what a wonderful spring swap we had. I can't belive how many people showed up It was the biggest swap ever.

14 years ago

I live in the southern part of Alton, practically on the Barnstead border near Halfmoon Lake.

Could you tell me how the swap works? I guess people trade plants, but can you also buy some plants if you run out of things to trade? Also, do people ever bring seeds? I decided to try winter-sowing and am looking for seeds outs there.

I sympathize with the weeding. Just this week I dug up the unknown lt purple/lt yellow iris and was untwining weed roots from the iris tubers. They were so overtaken with weeds that I knew the only way to eradicate them was to dig everything up (outside of Round-Up, which I will use when desperate). I don't know how long the previous owner went without weeding, but it seems like years. I actually don't ever want the chance to ask her, because if she says she only neglected her garden for a few months I might just sink to my knees in hopeless tears.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Deanna, the spring swap was my first. Annie has a huge yard and marks off spots for people to set out their plants. Then she divides the group in half. Half go visiting and suggest a trade when they see something they like. Then the other half go visiting. Toward the end, anything left over that people don't want to take home goes into the middle for anyone to take.
    Some people will list things they have ahead of time here on the web. You can ask them to reserve something for you. They will put your name on it. What you trade is between the two of you. Some people are very generous and don't ask for something in return. This is great for some starting out.
    Annie would like contributions to the snack and lunch table. Everything was delicious. She also has some great helpers who keep things organized and there are a couple of carts to haul things from your car to the yard. I forgot to bring a chair and don't want to forget that next time.

Annie: it was yikes hot and humid yesterday. An hour was plenty. I had to wait until the bean plants got dry before I picked so it was late morning by then. I had the same trouble with rotting seed when I planted in early May yet some years an early start works out great. Lots of early blight on my tomatoes. The brazen chipmunk has not discovered the Stupice variety out in the yard which has started to produce small tomatoes. He stole my first cherry tomatoes and chomped thru 3 heirlooms near my porch. I can see that one section really doesn't get enough sun for tomatoes and since this is the second year in a row, I need to find a new spot for them next year. I have two short rows of beets started but I think crows etc have been helping themselves to the seedlings. I only got one beet from my early planting. The first two beds are going to be enlarged to make four square foot style beds. Right now they are too wide for easy weeding. I'm also debating about the grass paths since when my husband mows without bagging the grass cuttings get all over the veggies and are difficult to clean. Who would think that grass sticks like glue to fresh beans. He now always used the bagger in that area.
    I posted under the zucchini thread about how happy I am with a lasagna/square foot techniqe. I'm also making notes. Two 10' rows of bush beans produce more than two people can eat. I have been giving them away. Next year I will try to do a better job at succession planting which worked out well this year with sugar snap peas.

My favorite hand tool is a version of a Cape Cod Weeder, sort of L-shaped. It is great for scraping thru the top 1/2" more or less of soil to get those awful roots out. I lost my original Cape Cod weeder and have a second, similar tool. I keep my eyes open for something similar. I don't know why this isn't the best selling tool at the garden centers next to trowels. I also have a scuffle hoe which I think is easier to use than a regular hoe for weeding. The end is like a stirrup so you can run it thru the soil to loosen up weeds. I got mine back in the 80s.

Deanna, I'm just waiting for it to get cooler before I tackle an overgrown circular bed about 10-12' in diameter. It is currently a profusion of nasty grasses, Queene Ann's lace, goldenrod, etc. I'm going to enlist my husband's help to dig everything out and start over. This bed originally featured several large hosta but those have already been dug out, seperated and divisions given away. I like hosta but not in a bed that gets full sunshine. I also have a long bed which I started in a hurry when we moved and I needed to quickly find a home for transplants from our old house (new owners didn't want any of the plants). In two years this is already a weedy mess because I didn't prepare the bed very well. This is also on my to-do list. Occasionally I wonder if it's all worth it. But the birds enjoy the seed heads and the blooming plants are lovely.
    Best wishes to everyone who are trying to get rid of weeds.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Monarda/Bee Balm.

I'll dig patches of Raspberry Wine, and a volunteer purple one that's in a spot I don't want it, and some of "Marshall's Delight" mix.

Strawberries. I'm not entirely sure I really want to keep them, so I'll probably bring those. I'll have about 25 or more plants.

Solidaster Lemore- This is a gorgeous plant (about 3-4' tall, and needs some sort of support, unless it was all the rain we got that made it flop over this year (likely)) that I got from Bluestone Perennials a couple years ago. I'll see about bringing a trade of that. Here's a link to bluestone's page:
    Solidaster Lemore

Ruds- While I realize that most of these are probably reseeding annuals, I've got some that are acting like perennials, so I'll dig a few of those. I have various ones: Indian Summer, Toto, Prairie (sun? eyes? the one with the green cone), and some 'regular' ones. Love them, but they are planning a silent, internal takeover of my garden. Even if they don't end up "perennial" for you, you'll at least have the plant for new reseeders for next year.

If I have enough of "Kim's Knee High" coneflower, I'll dig a small one of those. She's about 2' high.

Blake- I'll have "Cimmaron Pass" for you, and "Suzie Wong" Daylilies. I'll set those two aside for you special.

I'll dig up others for swapping. If anyone is looking for something specific, please ask; I might have it.

Annie & Blake- "Check!" on the Milkweed.

Does anyone have "Dotted Mint" monarda? My lawnboy weed-wacked my brand-new seedlings this year, and I have no idea if they survived the attack.

I saw a GORGEOUS patch of Joe Pye Weed in Wolfeboro this weekend and would love some of that if anyone has some available.

Yes, for those inquiring minds...I do have a butterfly garden. Actually, just a section of one garden. I have parsley, dill, fennel, rue, and the MW in there for them. They seemed to LOVE one of the dills in particular; I have to check the tags to see which one it was. They devoured it straight away.

Annie- Man-o-man do I hear you on the weeds! I just haven't been motivated to do much of it this season- why is that?! But the birds, bees, & BFs don't seem to mind, and that's my excuse. :)

Kimmi- I'll bring back the Hostas that Lisa potted up for you in the spring.

Did I mention the coleus? I'll cut those this week and get them started rooting so they'll be potted up and ready to live in your houses for the winter. Here's a picture I took of the coleus bed earlier in the summer after the rain FINALLY stopped and they were just starting to get going. The bed is completely filled now and you can't see any dirt, so that's an idea of how much these fill out. If you would like any specific ones, please let me know. I couldn't tell you the names of these, unfortunately, but I know that there's a Grenadine, Doctor Wu, Collins Gold, and a few others. Most of them are the same size- again, I think I mentioned that they are all 'medium' ones according to Rosy Dawn Gardens' descriptions.

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello All on this very HOT august day.

Annie, yes, I did ask for a white phlox for my white garden I am buiding. And in the middle of that white garden is the most beautiful pink tall phlox that you gave me. It's doing great and it's so beautiful. It was a pleasant surprise. I will be moving it out of the white garden into my circle garden this fall. But if you do have an extra white phlox to share that would be nice and I could pop that right in where the pink one is now.

Defrost, Common milkweed has a lot of medicinal value. I don't know why other people may want it, but I am trying to collect various plants with medicinal value. I am creating a garden in the middle of the woods. So I don't have meadows where wild herbs grow. I have to make gardens for them. Also, Defrost, I would be interested in some calendula seeds and the cimbing nasturtim seeds.

mmqchdygg, Thanks for putting aside those two day lillies for me! I hope I can bring something in return that you may like. I'll post what I will be bringing later.

Deanna, could you put aside one or two yellow spring day lilly for me?

Although I am still working on what I am bringing tot he swap. One thing I am planning on bringing are four wild low bush blueberry plants. Put them in the sun and you will get big juicy berries next summer. I start picking the berries in July and I just stopped picking them now.

Blake

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

MMQQHDYGG,

I can bring you some chocolate joe pye weed, it's a beauty!

Lisa

• sasha_nh
    14 years ago

Hi Annie,

Sheila and I will be there. Not sure what we're bringing yet but will look around. Blake, I'm pretty sure I can bring some white bee balm for your white garden. Lisa, I havent seen any Raven's Wing babies around but I did collect seeds and will bring them for you to winter-sow. Gonna be another hot one today so no way I'll be weeding (swimming sounds so much better)
    Marsha

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

THANK YOU, Lisa! I'm ashamed to say that I gave my small stand of C-JP away over a year ago because it turned green on me in its 3rd year, and have kicked myself ever since. If you have any tips on keeping it that gorgeous brown color, DO TELL! Much obliged!

Marsha- will you have seeds from your white bee balm this year?

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Thanks, Marsha. I would appreciate adding white bee balm to the white garden I am building.

• dfaustclancy
    14 years ago

Hi Annie,

I'm so glad to hear you're having another swap. I'd like to bring a friend who has yet to get into gardening.... but if she returns home with a few free plants (which you know she will!) she might get inspired. She has told me stories of yellow birds she was watching eat the seeds of her black-eyed susans, so she has Great Potential!!! lol

Last Sunday of the month is good for me. I will write again with what food item I will bring as the time gets closer.. I hope you'll be making soup again....

Looking forward to seeing you, your lovely garden, your cute kitty, and your grandson again.

Debra

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

But wait, there's more!

Coreopsis. Several good-sized seedlings found yesterday in my weeding ventures. I believe this is the larger "Lanceolata." This one is great for filling in because of the long bloom stalks that just jut out to strut their stuff. Goes from early summer right straight through frost in my yard.

Knautia- These must have been "Melton Pastels" since the colorings that I've seen in my yard range from burgundy to pink.

Valerian- It is a lovely white-clustered flower in early summer with a (to me) great light musky-vanilla scent. It's not overbearing, nor do I personally find it offensive. It wafts through the entire garden, so if you like fragrance, this is a nice one. Tall- between 4 and 5 feet when mature. Self sows readily.

Marsha! I found the perennial pink batchelor button! (I totally frigged up the location of this one, and it ended up behind some shorter volunteer phlox and a standard-blanket-flower-that-I-thought-was-a-shorter-Goblin. Oops.) It survived, and it looks great despite the ignorance of its owner. Still has pretty blooms on it. Will pull it forward this fall to better real estate. (sorry kids, not bringing this one to this swap; just wanted to give Marsha a status update)

I'm sure I'll find more as I keep weeding.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

In search of:

Does anyone have:
    Gaillardia "Arizona Sun?"
    Echinacea "Double Decker"
    Dianthus "Alba" (or other short, white mounding Dianthus)
    an unwanted butterfly bush- any color other than the deep purple one
    Astilbe- some form of Red or dark pink
    Heuchera- always on the lookout for interesting ones like the oranges, deep purples, lime-green/yellow, etc

Adding more to the "bringing" list (I'll combine all these in one post at some point)

Perennial Foxglove (the yellow one- about 2...2 1/2 feet tall)
    Yarrow- White
    Siberian Iris- "Butter & Sugar" and common purple
    Sedum- time to divide the Autumn Joy.
    I also have a dark-foliage one with white flowers that's just coming into bloom now (at least it looks like white flowers). I'll take a pic; not sure what variety it is. It's quite tall, topping out at a good 3 feet, I'd guess.

I'll be back again later when I think of more stuff...

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

MMQQ,

You are a lucky girl! I have red astlbe that I can grab a division of for you. I can give you lots of cuttings from a white butterfly bush and a heuchera black out division. I'll check and see if my gaillardia is arizona sun and if I can get a small division of my double delight for ya. I have you down for the choc. jp already.

If noone else requests them, I would love a shasta daisy becky and possibly your tall sedum.

Lisa

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow You guys are into swapping already. I'm still dealing with weeds .
    However I have potted up some white phlox for you, Blake. How about some spring white daisys which look just like Shasta Daisies but bloom in May?
    Among the weeds that I have pulled I've found tons of Rose of Sharon seedlings. Any one interested in them? I'll also be thinning out beebalm( red), blue cardinal flower,perennial sun flower and evening primrose.
    I do have Joe Pye weed to share also if anyone wants it.
    When it gets cooler I'm sure I will find lots more stuff to share.
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Annie,

I'd love a start of your blue cardinal flower, you gave me a start last fall but it didn't make it! Is there anything special that your looking for this fall??

Lisa

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks, Lisa!
    If I don't end up having much else that you're interested in, I will make sure that the divisions are good-sized to make up for it. You're a gem!
    I looked at that Sedum again last night, and it's not white flowers, although the buds started out white. They're coming in light pink. The only other Sedum that I bought several years ago is "Matrona" so it's very likely that that one is her. Definitely is hip-height; my desk is 28" here at work, but she was taller than that- probably closer to 32-36"
    There are many images on google for her, but this is one is exactly like what I have:

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisa
    I've potted up a big clump of blue cardinal flower and put it in a bucket for you. I can give you a couple of buckets if you wish.I warn you once it gets started it will pop up all over the place. If you have enough could you give me just a small bit of your chocolate joe pye weed?

mmqchdygg
    I've got blanket flower but I don't know what variety it is and I have lilies but same thing don't know what they are. I'll try to post pictures of them once my grandchildren leave and let me have my computer back for any length of time.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Ariz. Sun is one of the shorty ones. I have Goblin, which is dwarf and 12" high...blooms are identical to the standard one having the firey-red ring with the yellow tips around a brownish cone.

A. Sun is 8-10" and has more orangey-red ring nearly all the way out to the yellow tips, around a more reddish/orange cone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone's Gaillardia Arizona Sun

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hi Annie,

Thank you, I think the spring daiseys will be a wonderful additional to the white garden I am building.

I am busy weeding too. But mostly I am dealing with brush and small tree sapplings as I try to push back the woods a few feet to get more sunshine in. It is still so humid. I will be working at it till the snow flies but then I will be really happy next summer. I am planning on trying to plant a small edging of pennyroyal, tansy by the edge of the woods as I hear that keeps the ticks, fleas and mosquitoes at bay! I also read that eucaliptus leaves scattered on the ground keeps ticks away also. I am hoping for cooler and drier weather so both the weeding and brush and saplings removal will go faster.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Annie, Thank you and I'll try to get another division of cjp for you. I had them popping up everywhere and pulled them and threw them away in the spring. I'll know better next year!!!

MM, I don't think mine is the gaillardia that your looking for!

Lisa

• defrost49
    14 years ago

blake, I've read that guinea hens feast on ticks so people like to have them just to have a tickless yard. I love seeing chickens running around but I'm sure the local coyote would end that in a hurry.

We have a meadow with lots of wild white asters. I don't remember them being so lush last year. Do you need any?

I have my fingers crossed that the humidity ends tomorrow. I have lots of garden work I want to do but inside chores today. - Donna

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Donna,

Luckily I don't have ticks in the yard. However, with the woods and so many deer around, I am always careful when I work around the treeline.

I heard the same thing about the hens. But first we would have to create more sunshine for them, and build them a chicken house for protection. But it would be nice to have them. Maybe that can be another project for another year.

You are lucky to have such a beautiful meadow. And thank you for offering to collect the white wild asters but I am not in need of them.

It is sunday morning and it seems a bit cooler. I hope it stays taht way for a while so all the weeding and outdoor chores can get done.

14 years ago

Blake Taylor, I'll have some yellow daylily ready for you.

mmqchdygg I'd love some of your bee balm if you have neough. I've actually seen so many things from everybody that start the salivating, but I'll just have to try to get more for me swap next year!

Does anybody want hosta? I have two kinds. One kind is planted around the entire perimeter of my house, and each plant can easily be divided into four sections. I divided one into three at the beginning of the year, and each section now looks as big as the original. They would be the standard hosta with kelly green leaves that are about 6" long.

The second kind has variegated smaller leaves which are more slender and pointier. Right now they are getting a lot of sun and are small. I have no idea how old they are, so I don't know if they are a smaller variety or are stressed by the sunlight so are not growing. They really need to be relocated but I don't have a place for them now, and I'm not the biggest hosta fan. It would be smarter to give them to somebody who needs them!

I also have a big sedum patch, if anybody needs some. If I remember correctly, I think it's standard Autumn Joy. I should know by the swap what it is.

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Deaana,

First thank you for putting aside a some yellow day lillies for me.

Secondly, I am in dire need of hostas both large and small.
    I have a labyrinth, 44 feet in diameter ,in my backyard that I am trying to surround with hostas and have neen collecting them slowly over the past three years. So any extra hostas that you don't need I will most happily accept. But since you have already put aside some yellow day lillies and I have not yet offered you an exchange would you please let me know what you are looking for So I can see if I have anything you need.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm from MA but have hearing about Annie's Swaps for years. What time do you usually begin?
    idabean/Marie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Marie
    The swap begins at 10 am.We would love to have you come join us.
    Annie