SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

fall plant swap

annie_nh
15 years ago

I thought it was about time to think about setting a date for the NH Fall Plant Swap.Everyone seemed happy with having our spring one on a Sunday ( see pictures below)so I'm suggesting that we have it on Sunday Sept.28.

Comments (33)

• diane4000
    15 years ago

Hi Annie,

Sounds good to me! I let all kinds of seedlings come up this spring just for this event.

I'll post a list at a later date...

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Diane

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'll have LOTS to share; my garden is getting to look a little more overgrown than I like. Lots to be able to divide & share! That date also sounds perfect.
    I've missed everyone for about a year or so...will love to see you all again!

• Related Discussions

Raleigh Fall Plant Swap!

Q

Comments (8)
    ok, I couldn't stand it since I missed the spring swap! We have decided to skip the other event and come to the plant swap!!!! I find that I do have a few things to bring and have started some things rooting and looking for things to divide! I look forward to seeing everyone! Let the madness begin!
    ...See More

Charlotte Fall Plant Swap 2018: Sunday, September 23, 2pm

Q

Comments (0)
    Charlotte Fall Plant Swap, 2018 Sunday, September 23, 2pm Trinity Presbyterian Church 3115 Providence Road Charlotte, NC 28211 We will meet at the back of the parking lot, in the grass, at the picnic tables, in the shade. Please bring a table if you can! We usually run out of space ! Bring any and all plants you’d like to find a new home for. Split some overgrown perennials, bring cuttings of favorite plants/trees, etc. Houseplants, other gardening items and seeds also welcome! If you can, put a simple label on your plants stating what they are, so forgetful gardeners won’t forget what they have before arriving home . The Plant Swap is free. If you feel inclined, you may leave a donation that will go to the church for letting us use their grounds. We hope to see you there! Questions: elaine.dickson@gmail.com Anyone can join the yahoo group (which is the first place I post swap news) by sending a blank email to charlotteplantswap-subcribe@yahoogroups.com Everyone is welcome!
    ...See More

Fall Plant Swap - video and pix

Q

Comments (3)
    what was the beets name? it looks like that https://www.rareseeds.com/cylindra-or-formanova-beet/ but the name did sound different
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Plant Swap 2020

Q

Comments (5)
    April has passed and i didn’t see any thing about the plant trade. Are you having one in October?
    ...See More
  • sasha_nh
    15 years ago

Hi Annie,

Sounds good to us. We'll be there-can we bring anything?

Marsha and Sheila

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to hear from you all. Marsha and Sheila, if you'd like to bring something to add to the food table that would be great MMqqchdygg, do you still have the decorated bowling ball? That was a hit.
    I'll post another message after Labor Day when people are back from vacations.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I hope I can come! I have to dig up another bed, and replant some others so I'll need some plants and have some!
    kathy in Lebanon

• dfaustclancy
    15 years ago

Hi Annie,

By the photos, it looks like everyone had a wonderful time in the spring. I will try to make it on Sept. 28. Sunday is a much better day I think. It just FEELS slower!!!

I will bring seeds for hardy hybiscus. One I won at your place two years ago. It's been reproducing nicely and is very large.

See you then and will bring something for the food table as well.

• gata
    15 years ago

I'd like to come also.
    I have a clethra in a pot if anyone is interested?
    Does anyone want to swap Japanese iris for named daylilies?

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So good to hear from you, Debra. Look forward to seeing you again.
    Kathy, what kind of plants are you looking for? I'm beginning to thin out my over-grown garden so let me know before I start throwing plants away.
    Gata,are you looking for the iris or the lilies? I have lots of iris that I think are Japanese. I'll have to look them up to be sure.Over the years I've acquired several named lilies but unfortunately I never tagged them so I don't know which is which.

I just went out in my garden to count how many hibiscus I have. Would you believe it? I have over 30!I guess I've gone a bit overboard raising them from seed. I think I'll be digging up a couple of those as well as turtleheads,obedient plant, yellow evening primrose,blue cardinal flower,and whatever else I have too much of..I also have a couple of 2 year-old thornless honey locust trees that I plan to dig up if anyone wants them.
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Annie,

Beth and I will be there, I'll bring something for the food table.

Lisa

• gata
    15 years ago

Annie,
    I'm looking for the Ensata (or Japanese) iris' and have loads of daylilies to trade.
    Gata

• gata
    15 years ago

I now realize that I won't be able to attend as I will be in Puerto Rico. Sorry to miss the fall trade, but hope you all have a great time. See you in the spring!
    Best wishes,
    Gata

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We will miss you Gata.I'll have some iris for you in the spring
    Annie

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I'm just checking in; still planning on attending.
    Yes, I still have the BB, and will bring it. I may be able to whip up another one for show & tell, too. Always a good thing to have an excuse that motivates me into getting back to the garden-art/mosaics!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks like we have about 18 coming so far. There is still lots of room for more so if any more are interested let me know as I plan to make onion soup again and I want to have enough for everyone.

Plan to bring a lawn chair .
    Looking forward to seeing you all Sunday, Sept 28th at 10 am.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

bumping up............

• emily06
    15 years ago

Hi--I'm just wondering where in New Hampshire the Fall Swap will be taking place?

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Just checking in yet again with a short-list of stuff I know I'll be bringing:

Iris tubers- do I know what color they are? Nope. They were in a holding bin out back and likely bloomed when I wasn't looking this year- DOH! Some from the front garden will be nice big Tall bearded with a lavender top and dk purple falls.

Monarda/Bee Balm- Marshall's Delight

I might have a small patch of Malva Fastigiata- the generic pink one.

Likely will have yarrow- I have white, and wine-red

Anyone interested in Shasta Daisies? I have a pile that I need to yard out, but won't bring them unless someone wants them.

Coreopsis- might have a couple-three of these.

Siberian Iris- it's taking over; must divide. Will have decent-sized clumps available. Purpley.

Blanket-Flower- I'm PRETTY sure this is the shorty one, cuz it's not tall and lanky...I might be pulling up a couple of these clumps.

I hope this list isn't too boring...

And I'll bring my seed stash. I have TONS to share.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Oh, one more thing...does everyone else have seed stashes, too? I need some new scenery...would love to paw through what you've got, too!!!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Emily,the plant swap is just outside of Manchester NH near the Uncanoonuc Mountains. If you are interested in attending, email me and I'll send you directions.( You can find my email on MY Page.)

I have a large stash of 2007 seeds too that anyone can help themselves to.

Right now I have dug up spring white daisies, obedient plant, yellow evening primrose, lady bells, phlox, lilies,yellow marguerites, and fever few. Let me know if any of this stuff interests you as I can dig more of all these plants.
    I'll also have a couple of turtle flowers, hibiscus,small rose of sharon and other bushes that have popped up here and there.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Annie,
    I would love some yellow marguerites and obedient plant. I have a bunch of seeds that are on your wants list. I ordered from catalogs and some from trades from last year.

I was looking at your plant wants list and you have nothing listed. Is there anything that I may be able to purchase for the hostess? I have a couple of good nurseries around me.

mmqc,
    I would love some shastas, I bought them this spring and the animals ate them all!

Is anyoneone interested in some purple phlox paniculatas?
    I can get a couple of small divisions to bring.

I'll have some small packets of seeds ordered from value seeds this month too

Lisa

• rzax
    15 years ago

Hi Annie and all. I'm looking forward to joining you on Sunday, if I ever get motivated enough to clean out the garden. I have turtlehead, cranes bill, bee balm (purple and red) and probably lots of other stuff. I'm not looking especially for myself this fall, but for the Child and Family Services Group Home in Concord, which is trying to establish some perennial beds. They mostly have shady areas so are looking for hostas, lily of the valley, stuff that will thrive in shade. It's a project we are doing with the teens living in the home and with community volunteers from the United Way. So, if anyone has some extra stuff to share, that would be great, or I'll just use my swaps for that.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

rzax,

I'd love some turtlehead and purple beebalm .

I'll stop by my local nursery and pick up a shade plant for your child and family care garden.

Lisa

Annie ... i sent you an email

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ruth, I've got tons of lily of the valley.I'll dig some up and you can dig more if you like
    Lisa,I sent you directions and please don't spend money on a plant for me. If you want you can bring something to add to the food table.

Besides what I listed before I have dug up blue cardinal flower and some cone flower.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Hi Ruth-
    You're in luck! I've got a hosta bed that needs to be moved from one side of the yard to another, and will get to that project this week and make sure that you have some of what I've got in there.

• lilysgarden
    15 years ago

Hi Annie & all!

I have not had a chance to dig yet... so any plants that I bring will be fresh dug on Saturday and trimmed back for ease in transplant.

See everyone on Sunday!

Lily

• terryboc
    15 years ago

Darn! I can't believe I will miss the fall swap as well as the spring one this year. I have a b'day party for a family memeber that must take priority. I will wish for sunny weather for you all. Have a great time.
    Cheers,
    Terry

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry, what a bummer but there is always next June.I'll check with you before I set the June date.
    So glad you are coming, Lily.I'll make sure you meet the beginning gardeners so that they can take advantage of all your expertise. Just heard from Piera and Deidre and they are coming too. Hope the weather cooperates but a little rain won't hurt anyone.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Taking a breakfast break from digging today (everyone out there with bug spray on? UGH!)

Found some Valerian that I'll bring. It's classified as an herb, but it's got the most wonderful white cluster flowers on it in late spring...4-5' tall, and oh-so-fragrant! It's like a sweet-musk scent...not disgusting, not overpowering, but it does waft throughout the garden. Quite nice when things are just starting in the early gardening months.

Most things are currently in smallish pots- about 6" pots. Don't worry, though, I just haven't gotten to the big stuff yet...but I took some to work and no one brought my pots back >:( so I may end up bringing a lot in plastic grocery bags if that's not a problem.

IShare- Glad I checked in this morning because I was chucking the shastas left & right just a few minutes ago, so I'll salvage those nice clumps for you. They may still be mad tomorrow since I did shake the dirt off the roots, but I'll water them back up and they'll be fine.

Ok, I gotta get back out there; time's a wastin' while the rain isn't here (yet)

• rzax
    15 years ago

Thank you Annie for another great plant swap. Lisa and Tina thank you so much for the hostas and pasque flower for the Child and Family Services Group Home project. I'll be bringing lots of treasures over tomorrow for them. Even the rainy day plant exchanges are fun. Looking forward to next spring and I'm definitely going to try the winter sowing thing!!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Thank you so much for having Beth and I, we had a great time. We took a stroll thru your garden and were blown away! can't wait to see it in the spring!

Rzax,
    not a problem, I hope the kids like them. Thank you for the solomons seal.

Marsha and Sheila, We love you guys!

MM, thanks for the shastas, we both left for home with two clumps!

I can't remember everyones names but it was nice to meet all of you.

Lisa and Beth

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Annie- Thanks for a wonderful swap- as always! My son even said he had a good time! Brunch was wonderful; you're so good to us! Sorry I forgot the bowling ball for show & tell; I will def bring it, and/or a new one to the spring swap. My Siberians were still waiting patiently in the rain for a ride to the swap when I got home... Sigh.

Marsha & Sheila- So nice to see you again! I'm still excited about the Pink Batch-Buttons...

Ruth- You know where to find me when you're ready for more hostas!

Lisa & Beth- it was nice to meet you both; hope you enjoyed our little swap. Hopefully we'll catch up with each other over on the winter sowing forum! Start collecting those milk jugs, dairy containers, and 2L bottles!

Hope everyone got plenty of seeds; there was a LOT left...you'll be seeing them again in the spring- HA! It was so nice catching up with everyone again!

See you all 'round the boards!

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Diane- Do you think your Oh-So-Popular Aster was "Wood's Purple?" Seems to be the brightest purple I can find online. It was SPECTACULAR!!!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for coming to the plant swap inspite of the weather,It was so good to see you all again and to meet new comers Lisa, Beth,Diane H., Jan and her DH.. Special thanks to Linda, Diane and Tina's son for helping with the oven disaster. Repair man is coming tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you all next Spring.
    Annie