SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

7 Million New Veggie Gardeners in 2009

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

According to a survey by the National Gardening Association, an estimated 7 million new households (for a total of 43 million households in the US) will be planting and growing some of their own food supply in 2009, including vegetables, fruits and herbs.

I have noticed that some seed racks are emptying out very quickly, and a few highly-sought-after vegetable varieties are cleaned out as soon as the racks are put out by the retailer. It also seems like the fruit trees, bramble vines and grape vines are selling very well this year.

Even on-line seed retailers seem to be running slow in filling orders (probably due to a higher than usual volume of orders) and lots of seed has been back-ordered and slow to arrive.

So, remember this as you are buying your seeds and plants and plan accordingly. I already have purchased all the seed I need for the spring, summer and fall gardens. With a large number of new vegetable gardeners, it also is likely that some garden supplies may sell out as well so I am purchasing what I need early (Slug-go!)so I'll have it when I need it.

I've always left my garden gate unlocked. I've always figured if someone needed food badly enough that they'd come into the garden and take it....then, clearly, they "need" the food and can have it. I also have told a lot of our neighbors over the years to come help themselves to tomatoes anytime they want when we're overloaded with them. I'm beginning to rethink that "unlocked gate" policy though.

Our garden sits in a big open area between the house and the road because that is where our best soil is. In fact, my garden site was our original choice for the house's site until I realized it was the only area where we had a little sandy soil instead of red clay. So, the house got moved farther back (our house is quite a ways back from the road) and about one-third of the garden is sandy soil although the rest is red clay. I am a little nervous that too many people (strangers, not neighbors) might stop and help themselves to the veggies this year. Still, it seems wrong to put a lock on a garden gate.

I do know that garden theft, including rose bushes stolen right out of the ground, has been on the rise in recent years. Still, even though locking the gate makes sense, I don't like the idea of doing it.

I've linked the article about the NGA survey below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NGA Garden Survey for 2009

Comments (7)