SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Cabbage advice?

p_mac
13 years ago

Alrighty, Folks!! My grand-daughter's teacher signed up to participate in the Bonnie Cabbage Program. Every 3rd grader received a plant. They are to grow this seedling to maturity and each state will will have one child awarded a $1,000 scholarship for the largest one grown. She is STOKED about this and since she lives in a apartment in OKC, guess where she wants to plant it? Yep....out here in rural NE Norman out in Gramma & Papaw's garden! I'm scared!

This particular type grows HUGE! I've linked their website to read up about it. Some are grown in real gardens, some in flower beds and some in pots. I've got all three options but I also have to consider critters like gophers...and deer...and maybe rabbits. I'm thinking a large pot on one of the decks would be good. Ideally, where would be a spot that would give it the longest growing season? (10-12 weeks which means this will be harvested Memorial Day there-abouts) Would in the ground be better? I could put it in a spot out by the onions which will be orka ground later.

Also...should we put a tent around it to protect it from insects? I like the suggestion on another thread of curtain "shears".

Sorry so wordy but HECK! We're talking a $1,000 scholarship here!!!

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie Mega-Cabbage School Program

Comments (4)