SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodikay_gw

MN z4 full sun question

jodikay
14 years ago

I know people continue to ask this question, and I have been reading through the forum, going way back, nearly every post and I have yet to see a picture of a hosta growing in what I CONSIDER full sun. I have attached the following photos, 1st picture is hosta garden spring 2008. not a tree in sight in the back yard (wish I had a picture to show when we moved in 18yrs ago and our yard was full of beautiful oaks - it makes me sad this think about it), summer is very hot and humid, no rain and the well is going dry. forget watering anything. 2nd picture, husband builds pergola, its hot then cool than hot again, no rain but at least a very expensive well is in the ground and everyone and plants are happier. even less trees as we have oak wilt and husband spent the winter and spring taking them down. wife not happy but nothing she can do. this picture is taken facing west. 3rd picture facing east. july and august are very hot in the back yard and many parts get all day sun. the tree on the corner of the house is also coming down. it really doesn't offer any shade. i do have a few hostas at the back of the house which gets sun until between 1-2pm. I am working on a native garden in the back near the hostas. the 4th picture is my other option. its the end of the house facing east/northeast, so sun most of the afternoon. The mantra is: if it, the hosta, doesn't work/grow where its planted, just move them, and water, water, water until established. The problem is I don't have places to move them if they don't work out. The front yard is not an option either as trees will be removed probably this fall into winter. Unfortunately I just took these pictures so you don't get the july idea of sun placement. And trust me, thats not grass growing back there. This is an old pasture. No one ever laid sod here.

So I guess my question is, just how much hot july/august sun can a hosta take in? Is there such a thing as too much sun for a hosta? 6hr, 8hr, 10hr+ ?? I guess I am thinking the end of my house is the better option with perhaps the but I am just not sure. So, opinions, and pictures are welcome. Are there other Minnesotans with this same problem out there? I live north of St Paul, out in the boonies according to my friends. haha.

So, I hope I am making sense. I am a bit frustrated as I don't know what to do. And yes, I have all winter to think about it but its never to early to start planning and give husband an early heads up.

Thanks, Jodi

ps. please overlook the washing machine. all it does it remind me of money that could have been spent on plants if it wouldn't have croaked!

Comments (9)