SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragon_kite

NoID cym with Xmas gifted 'chids

dragon_kite
16 years ago

I gave away the big mama plant of this cym years ago and raised this current blooming one from back-bulb. It had been so long since blooming that I forgot what it looked like. For the past 2 years it spiked in summer only to die as soon as the temps got hot. Finally, it's blooming in the right season and 2 spikes at once too!

{{gwi:158662}}

Comments (8)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Love the group shot!
    The cymbidium is gorgeous - great job growing it from a backbulb...It is so rewarding
    Olya

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

Beautiful colors on this noid and group shot! I like that burgundy colored phal in the background as well!

How do you grow your cymbs in the winter? I am still trying to get the watering right :S I think I went too wet last year, and this year I'm definitely going too dry because they're shriveling. I'm just wary about watering too much without any active growth going on.

• Charm
    16 years ago

Beautiful group shot the cymb is a beauty!~Charm

• dragon_kite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Calvin I know exactly what you mean! Although cyms are easy growers in our parts due to cooler summers and humid air...in the winter, we need a whole different game plan. In experimenting with this one, I even pulled it out of the pot a few times a year to check the roots for rot.

Most of my cyms are in LECA in clay or plastic. I don't have a humidifier and the thermostat is set at 67*F. They get watered 2x a week if they're in spike or blooming...if nothing's going on I usually forget to water them and they get watered every 5-7.

Your Cym sinense bloomed just gorgeously so I don't think you need to worry about anything =).

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Beautiful plants. Love the group shot. Pinks and purples are my favorite colors.

Congratulations and great growing...

Jane

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Well worth the wait! I've never heard of one trying to bloom in the summer before. Jet lag? LOL!

Sharon

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Wonderful plants. Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• dragon_kite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanx guys!

Sharon - Jet lag..LOL. I think when I put it outside for the spring, it got confused. Let's hope it's on the right track now and I'll have blooms every winter.

Strange, the true color of the cym is only in the first photo. In the group shot, every orchid's color is accurate, except the cym's...I still can't get a handle on digi photography.

GREAT NEWS! This cym is fragrant! I smelled it today in the sunlight...it's a sweet fragrance with hints of lemon tea. Didn't remember a scent from the mother plant...With my awful memory, this is like blooming a whole new orchid!