SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edmonton83

Roses that I have grown in zone 3-report

edmonton83
13 years ago

I just wanted to provide a report on Roses in my zone 3 edmonton garden to help other gardeners.

-Jens Munk-Rugosa hybrid-10 years old, beautiful pink fragrant flowers, very vigourous, large 6' x 6', suckers. Nice plant-needs some space. Blooms heavily most in Late June and again in September with some sparser bloom in between.

-David Thomson rugosa-not much success with this one-died, not a very attractive flower color, very good repeat bloom, excellent fragrance

-therese bugnet-excellent fountain shaped shrub, heavy bloom in late June, and one more flush in fall. Not a heavy bloomer like some of the other roses. But still worthwile with it's purple canes, nice fall leaf color. Needs lots of space 6' x 6'

-William Baffin- excellent stawberry blooms, makes a medium climber, vigourous, some pruning of dead wood in Spring, excellent rose.

-Morden Fireglow-do not get this plant, disease plagued, lack of vigour, sparse bloom, a disapointment.

-Morden Blush-very very floriferous, nice rose, though no scent and the bush is kind of sparse. Buy it for the blooms.

-Champlain-excellent rose, close to everblooming with masses of red blooms all season till fall frost, Expect to cut some dead wood in spring-but rebounds beautifully. No winter protection required.

Others I have seen in my friends gardens that should be in your garden:

Absolutely beautiful Snow pavement, white fragrant blooms excellent. Beautiful rugose foliage with nice red hips in fall and winter.

John Davis and Louis Jolliet two excellent explorer rose climbers that bloom all season,-very hardy to zone 3.

The terrific rosa rubrifolia/rosa glauca rose with beautiful red foliage. Hardy, grow if for the foliage.

Please provide me with reports for the roses you grow in your cold climates.

Thank you,

Gary

Comments (27)

Sponsored