SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marbles_n_the_garden

Bakeapple/Cloudberry picking season?

Hello,

Last year I was desperately seeking Cloudberry seeds (Rubus chamaemorus). I am still looking to acquire some. I have heard August is when the Bakeapples/Cloudberries are picked. I know Canadians cannot swap plants with the USA through the mail, but seeds are OK.

Here is how far I have gotten: I have received a small amout of seed from a germplasm bank and the origin is Russia. I received some seed from a kind woman in Norway. I took the Norway seed, and tried two sprouting methods with it, but I received them late, so the winter sowing didn't work. The Russian seeds came with instructions, but I have more Norway seeds, so I want to work with them until I get it right. This is one of my most challenging gardening projects ever. Each year I try something new, and a "challenge" plant. I think this one will be at least another year before I get it right.

At present, I live in Massachusetts. My husband and I plan to retire in Maine, so we will be one of the "cold" or "short season" gardeners. We may even end up further South than some Canadian Garden Web members! In any case, I am building up my stock of plants--especially from the Rubus genus to have enough to start a small berry farm when we get to Maine. One of my goals is to introduce people to native berries that are unfamiliar to most people.

I have big goals, but not unattainable ones. The Cloudberry figures big in those goals.

If anyone is going picking, and makes something of the berries (the seeds are large for a raspberry and are not eaten), would you mind saving and sending the seeds to me?

I will trade seeds I have, or other items such as earring I make or whatever we can come to an agreement on as a fair trade.

For anyone in the US, I would love tha plants or seeds. I plan to make posts on multiple forums.

I have a place already prepared for them, and Rubus grows extremely well in my yard--lots of wild ones. I am also looking for crowberry, lowbush blueberry, lingonberry.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much!

Robin

Comment

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner