SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Dawn - Pls talk about mulch

soonergrandmom
16 years ago

Dawn - I have great admiration for your gardening abilities and expecially for your energy. I don't start my tomatoes and peppers until the middle of February or later, but then I am almost "a state" away from you in the NE corner of Oklahoma. I read (with a little laughter) about your managable garden. I will never have that many things growing, and I continually fight the grass. I am curious about your mulching methods. Do you mind sharing some of that info.

(1) Do you mulch when you plant or do you wait until the ground is warmer?

(2) Do you use mulch that becomes part of the soil or do you use something you have to remove later?

I have gardened in Carter County in the past so I understand your "hot and dry" problems well. In Grove, we are several weeks later and normally get greater rainfall. I think I mulched a little early last year, but after breaking my foot, my garden was pretty much a loss after the early spring crops anyway. But......I am a gardener and this is a new year. However, I may plant mostly in pots this year and try to clear my garden of grass again since it was so neglected last year.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Carol

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville