SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sculpine

z5 trying z6 plant help

scot
14 years ago

i am cross posting this in hopes of getting the best advise ever.

ive tied with varying succes several things that are out of my zone (taking advantage of perceived microclimates) this year i planted a Jiro Persimmon right out in the middle of nowhere. so it should experience all our winter has to offer. it is rated as z6 (i could not find consistent sunset info). anyway, ive decided that i no longer want to just let it fend for itself and see what happens, ive tried the whole mulch and tarpaper thing with a fig (it worked but way too much effort). so today i got the brianstorm to put a portable greenhouse over it during Jan and Feb, i wasnt planning to heat it, just harness the sun in the day and block the wind. if we do get down below -10 i might put a heat lamp in during the worst of it.

so, has anyone tried anything like this, does it sound at all like it may work, or if anyone has a tried method i am all ears.

i do have hardy persimmons, but i really want a non-astringent variety and this is the closed thing i could find that had a snowballs chance

thx

scot

Comments (3)

Sponsored