SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_mumof4

garden center workers - first hand account....

melissa_mumof4
14 years ago

Hi everyone!!! I've been up since 4am and have been hmmming and haaaaing about posting this.

I really just want to let everyone know how it is for us garden center workers...... so you all can understand our point of view.

I am an avid gardener and wouldnt even think to buy some of the stuff we offer.

Please dont walk into a garden center the day after a freak snowstorm or a sudden frost and start complaining that the plants are frozen or affected.... that would be like me walking into your backyard and criticizing you for the frost killing all your plants!!! Believe it or not, we do not work 24 hours babysitting the plants we sell to you.

We have families at home, we have gardens, we have bills to pay( hence the job!!!). Many times we are working "family" holidays to serve you!!! This includes Mothers Day, Victoria Day and everything in between!!!!

Please also remember!!! sometimes the plants that get ordered are ordered by "higher ups" that think they know what they are doing, and then we get stuck trying to figure out how to sell plants that are not even good for our zone or plants that have been ordered because they are a "great deal".

We really are just people like you, people who want a beautiful garden and something thats going to last.....

I've had customers complain out loud in front of others that the plants arent watered enough!!!! I'm one person!!!!

I have four kids at home, dont get enough sleep and no one in the greenhouse to help me!!!! Please just keep your comments to yourself!!! Or pick up a hose and give me a hand!!!!

I have many customers that come in to see me regularly, I order stuff for them, no problem!!! They bring me plants they've grown at home(only to get thrown out by mgmt!!!) I do my very best for everyone!!!! Please try to give us a break...... We hear about husbands dying, family pets being lost, children moving away, we take the time to get to know each customer, remember their name, call them at home to tell them certain items have come in, the whole shabang!!!

Please remember that when it snows, and you decide to come shopping, I'm trying to pick up the pieces of the damage, not to mention working in -2 degree weather!!!!! the last thing I need, is you to complain that all the plants got killed!!! No kidding!!!!!

I'm sorry to rant and rave, but we really do try our best to help everyone!!! Please understand us "garden center" workers and realize that we are ultimately "controlled" by what management says will "suffice" to make the $$$$$.

Many times myself and my co-worker go home in tears and ashamed of what we have to offer, and its really not our fault, but we are "thrown" into this situation by no fault of our own....

We both have kids, husbands, bills, problems...... the last thing we need is an insult of how we are managing "too many" plants in an uncontrollable weather situation.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Comments (8)

Sponsored