SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillyluis

How big is your paperbark maple? Need tree for small space

jillyluis
10 years ago

Hi,
I posted a similar question on the tree forum, but the tree folk here tell me tree size is very regional. I'm trying to find a tree with multi-season interest to put in our courtyard. The courthard is 14x 30, but hardscarped in the middle, so the tree is going into a bed that is 10 by 7, so ultimately, the trunk will end up being 5 feet from the house. Everyone has different opinions, and at least one person has said that wolf's eye dog wood, stewartia, or fringe tree will get too big. I am strongly leaning towards a paperbark maple, but online it says it gets to be 20 by 20, which clearly is a problem. I talked to three senior tree people at Weston and they agreed that it would fit in the space, while talking me out of a more expensive trees.
The other possibility is a japanese maple, but for some reason, I'm not thrilled (we two trees only on our lot right now, and both are JM's....one is huge and old, and the other is a tiny cut leaf, so I think I'd like something different). One more thing, our house is an old colonial, so nothing too modern looking.
Thanks a lot,
Jill

Comments (12)