SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

Turks cap lily seeds suppliers?

squirelette
15 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone have or know of a supplier for Turkscap Lily seeds. I bought a package years ago but cannot find them now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (6)

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

Gardensnorth.com from Ontario sells Lilium martagon (turkscap) and a whole host of other lilium from seed. There's a 50% off seed sale going on this month as well. I can vouch for this company - excellent product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardensnorth

• squirelette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have been pulling my hair out looking for them, most of what I had found were not the right plant.

• timlahrman
    15 years ago

I have both seed and young plants. Feel free to email me at timlahrman@aol.com

• squirelette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thanks I wish that I had heard from you sooner I did find seeds from Whatcom over on the west coast, I would have much rather got plants. Have you ever had color mutations crop up with yours. I have one plant that blooms yellow and all the rest are orange. I thought that they would not change color within a clump

• timlahrman
    14 years ago

squirelette --- thanks for the reply post.

No I have never had a color variance. All my turk's caps are orange with the brown spots.

I have been all over the web reading about these plants and I have a question about the seed you purchased. Was this seed like a small bulbette, or was it some kind of dry seed??? I ask because my turk's produce a purple-ish berry-like seed where each leave conjoins the main stalk. These bulbettes fall to the ground and drop a root which then pulls the bulbette into the ground. The first two season produce the single blade leaf but by the third season it is a recognizable lilly plant --- The rate of maturation accelerates after the third season and before long these things are 6'-plus thick stemmed and producing bulbettes the size of a dime. The germination rate is very very very high. I am in northern Indiana and for the past 8 years or so I have scattered these bulbettes all around a couple of my properties and a neighbors too. All told, both mature and young, I have several thousand plants and just today I began seeing another crop of bulbettes appearing on the younger plants.

Funny thing --- I have no idea how this plant ended up in my flowerbeds .... it just showed up 12 years or so ago and the hummingbirds and I have enjoyed them ever since....

So, how are your seeds doing?? Let me know if you would like a few mature bulbs .... I am sure I can find you a few.

Thanks,

Tim

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I got the seeds not the little bulbs. I expect that it will be a couple years before I have blooms from them but that will do. I had planned to collect the bulbs off the stalks last year but the birds stripped them before I got to them. We have 4 large clumps in the DH garden and 1 in my garden and lots of babies scattered around. They are all pretty small plants because we moved 3 years ago and pulled the clumps in Sept when they were just blooming in the middle of a horrible week of cold rain and dropped them into existing gardens at the new place. Let them sit the first summer here and then moved them again last summer. On top of that the landscaper that I had bought all my wonderful garden soil closed and the stuff I am getting now is nowhere near as good. Last year the plants were only about 3 foot high with 4-6 blooms and are not looking much better this year. I will have to divide the clumps next year. At the old place they were close to 6 foot with 10 -12 blooms. The new owners chucked the plants I had left and sodded over the garden! I started all these plants from a packet of seeds I got and they went like crazy. The big mystery is the single plant with the yellow flowers. All the plants started from the seed I bought and for 4 years they were all the same orange. When we moved the yellow one appeared the first year and comes back every year, just the one plant in the middle of the clump. I understand there is also a red varient. I have not got any leaves from the seed yet but they take a long time to sprout from seed. I think I will be good for plants now. Thanks for the offer. We should have a solid line of clumps about 10' long now all across the back of the DH garden

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations