SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Recent Signs of Spring

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

It is pretty cold, cloudy and chilly here today, but you wouldn't know it by driving through our neighborhood in south-central OK. Here's what I noticed yesterday and today:

Yarrow is blooming in our pasture. It is only one early bird plant so far, but it sure is early for this.

Forsythia is blooming

More trees are leafing out

Henbit has been in bloom since December, it was joined in January by Spring Beauties and a few wild garlic/onion plants and this week the chickweed started blooming.

Various trees are leafing out. However, I don't mean to imply a whole lot of trees are leafing out. It is just a random tree here and there, but I can't help thinking frost will nip back their tender foliage.

The water lilies in the lily pond have new leaves emerging.

Everyone's yards are greening up, but I believe it is mostly winter grasses like rye and poa annua and also cool-season weeds and wildflowers. However, I saw some green bermuda grass in our own yard yesterday. I am not sure I've ever seen any bermuda grass green up this early, and I expect a cold night or two will brown it out again.

Tim saw a large flock of migrating geese on a pond near our house yesterday. That's the first geese we've ever seen on that pond.

Is anyone else seeing new signs of the approaching spring?

Dawn

Comments (14)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler