SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

So, so upset. Deer devastation.

sue36
12 years ago

Before I left this morning I noticed some deer damage to my shade garden. This garden is right up against my porch on the north side of my house. There are (or were) hosta in there that had been growing undivided for 4 years. They were huge and beautiful. I was out there again this afternoon and most of the hosta are gone. I mean, totally gone except for 4" of stem. I honestly feel sick. It is only June and the garden is ruined for the summer. I know the hosta will come back, but not this year. This was my one garden that was tour-worthy.

Aside from a few virtual hugs, I need some ideas on deterring them from the remaining hostas. And I need ideas on what to do about the garden. Take the hosta out and pot them, filling in the empty areas with annuals, replanting the hosta in the fall? Plant annuals to fill in the empty spaces (there are a LOT of empty spaces, these were HUGE hostas) and leave the stubs?

I know they are just plants, and there are worse things in life, but I having a little pity party right now.

Comments (17)