SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sopamanda

Tulsa newbie, warning; idiot questions

sopamanda
15 years ago

I come from a non-gardening family. No experience to draw from. :)

I've been mostly a bargain-rack Lowe's girl, but I've been thinking about doing seeds this year as well as venturing into the vegetable world. I did tomato plants on the patio last year (these did well) but now I'd like to expand flowers and vegetables (I have a 3 year old; 3 year olds should be exposed to the beauty and awe of watching something grow!).

SO! I went to Lowe's today and got a small seed-tomato kit with the pellets and a pack of seeds; I plan to follow the directions and put it on top of the fridge. I also read the seed packages for flowers and I -think- most of these you put in soil and tend regularly and this seems to be so massively cheap I can't believe it! Am I missing something? Sounds to me that beans and peas, and other veggies you can put seeds into the ground too, just after frost?

(Gulp) Yes, I do know that most of you are guffawing as you read this but you all seem like nice folks and I bet someone out there would like to offer a bit of advice to a mommy and a li'l bit anxious to delve a bit deeper into gardening. Am I on the right track?

Husband is out in the yard digging up the grass. :) I plan to take a sample to the OSU center to have it analyzed. I imagine I would take the sample, wait for the results and THEN amend the soil?

I'm certain I'm going to be addicted to this site. :)

Thanks all!

Amanda

Comments (29)