SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulipscarolan_gw

Help! Garden Tour Here in September...

tulipscarolan
13 years ago

Hi there!

I think I may be signed up for a late September garden tour. This is my first time (I've been gardening here for 10 years so far). Anyway, I was just looking back at some old pictures of my garden in September 2009 and 2008, and things look a little fried and depressing right around then! I'm willing to put in lots of extra effort, and some extra spending (not crazy) to try to keep it fresh looking for the tour. I'd love any suggestions you have.

Some plans off the top of my head:

* Keep everything well watered

* Do extra pruning, ala Tracy DiSabato-Aust, to delay bloom (but which flowers specifically should I target? I always prune back some of the phlox, and purple coneflower, any other ideas?)

* Stake, stake, stake!

* Plant more dahlias than usual.

* Which annuals look particularly good in September? For some reason, my cosmos tend to look ratty by then, even though they are still blooming really well...

* Extra doses of compost to fertilize things like delphinium, in hopes of a second flush of blooms...

* Other ideas?

* Also, I may be willing to pick up a few new fall-blooming perennials. Right now, I have obedient plant, boltonia, some mums, chelone, and sedums.

I would gratefully love to hear any other suggestions! I'm a little bummed that my first garden tour is not in prime season, but I guess it's easy to have a great-looking garden in June!! It will make people feel better to see less-than-perfect????

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)