SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

another thing for newbies to do in fall ... pix

first... admit you are hooked .... lol ...

second ... come to the conclusion that you are going to NEED to buy 20 to 50 more next year ... or order them mail order for spring delivery ...

third ... admit you have no where to put them now.. let alone next spring ....

so guess what ... FALL IS THE BEST TIME TO BUILD NEW BEDS ...

I WOULD ... outline the bed ... kill the grass with round up ... then either put down a good mulch .. or chew up all those fall leaves... and put about 6 inches on top of the dead grass ...

by spring.. the soil will be spongy .. and very easy to dig.. and you will be all set to go ...

when i first got hooked.. i would order 100 for spring delivery .. and then try to build beds in barely thawed soil in early April .. freezing my knuckles nearly solid.. what a nightmare.. then all of a sudden i figured out .. i can do the bed in fall .. duh!!!!

AND KEEP IN MIND.. UNDER TREES ... ROTOTILLING IS NOT APPROPRIATE ... consider that every severed root.. will be replaced by dozens of new feeder roots..and you will be further behind, rather than ahead ....

here are a bunch of pix on a much larger scale than most of you work ... but you never know where inspiration will come from .. these are conifer beds ...

good luck

ken

first .. you lay out the bed.. and be sure the design fits your equipment

{{gwi:648959}}

then you kill the grass and move out the mulch

{{gwi:648943}}

then you redo it .. because the line isn't pleasing to your eye .. lol

{{gwi:648957}}

then you are finished .... if you were standing where the date is... this view is to your left .. the ones further above to your right

Comments (22)