SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Your input on my new clean slate...zero landscaping here!

Well, as you may have read in the other thread, there's a strong possibility (don't count my chickens until they're hatched!) that we will be moving. The good news is the property is in South Central VA, only about 2 hours from where we are now and the even better news is that it will be a slow move, most likely, over 6 months. Here's a pic of the property, green line being the property line, give or take.

You can see that there is about 3 acres that is cleared around the house and the rest is hardwoods (this shot being taken in the winter). Straight up is north, by the way. Here's a closer pic:

These pics were taken about two years ago when the addition that you see coming out at the rear of the house was built. There is no landscaping whatsoever. I need some trees in this big area of grass! The good thing about a clean slate is that I get to pick what I want instead of dealing with what's there, but for hostas, there's not much shade around the house at all. There is a small cluster of trees to the left of the house, but two of the three have to come down, but that will, at least leave one that can shade some hostas. Here's a quick sketch of the layout that I have been using for different planning needs.

The hexagon-shaped area will be a new addition down the road b/c the house is a bit small for our likes. It will create a cute garden nook for hostas, but that is later. Now, the areas that are obvious for hostas are marked, but I'm going to have to put a lot in here, trees, bushes and everything in between. So, now to the point of this whole post:

If this were your blank slate, you being a hostaholic, what would you do with this property? I have my own ideas, but I want everyone to be creative with what they would do, so all suggestions welcome! Thanks, as always, for your input. Have fun with this!

Comments (15)