SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

earth angel colors

I have a new-to-me Earth Angel that I rescued from a local mid-box gardening chain about a month ago. A total of six eyes but sunburnt edges. When I got ready to pot it, I discovered that it was crazy pot-bound and decided to go ahead and split it and let all the roots have a chance to breathe in as much space as possible.

One double-eye division was given away, but a triple and a single were kept and put into separate large pots until I could better prepare a more permanent home. So now I have new growth on both divisions I kept and they're different. The potted divisions are sitting only three feet away from each other with identical watering and sun/shade conditions. The older growth on the plant has blue (bluish-green) leaves with a narrow creamy margin

A) The triple eye has a new eye with creamy margins (just like the old growth) and a new eye with a narrow blue center and wide green margins.

B) The single eye has a new eye with the same narrow blue center and wide green margins.

So my questions are these:

* is this a typical new growth color difference?

* is it typical to have new growth on the same plant that is that different?

Each of my other hostas have always had new growth more or less the same as the older growth.

~ freshair

Comments (17)