SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Current US Drought Monitor: Bad News for Central OK

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I've linked this week's edition of the U. S. Drought Monitor map.

There are three notable developments and the last one is big but only for me.

1) CENTRAL OK DROUGHT HAS WORSENED: In what surely is not good news for anyone in the affected area, a portion of central OK has moved into the Severe Drought category. I don't know if y'all got enough moisture from today's winter weather system to make a dent in the drought.

2) 99.64% OF OKLAHOMA IS NOW IN A DROUGHT CATEGORY. Most other areas stayed in the same category they were in last week or moved to the next higher level of drought.

3) 0.36% OF OKLAHOMA IS NOT IN A DROUGHT. Who does this effect? Pretty much just me. In the oddest thing that's happened since we moved here, every one of the rest of you have drought of some kind and I don't. This is a first. Usually, most of y'all don't have drought and I do. I hardly know how to act. Over 99% of the state has drought, but not my tiny area at the southernmost end of Love County. I am NOT gloating. In fact, I am baffled. I have no clue how to act when adequate moisture is present. What am I going to have to whine about?

All kidding aside, those of you in the dry parts of OK have my sympathy. Since moving here, we've been in drought more often than not and I don't like it.

I hope that we get good winter or spring rains and y'all get drought relief before spring planting season rolls around.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: U S Drought Monitor Map dated 16 Jan 2011

Comments (23)