SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Favorite Gardening Books

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

It's been a while since we discussed our favorite gardening-related books, so I thought I'd start a list, and hope the rest of you will add your own favorites to it. I've noticed we have a lot of folks on the forum who are new to gardening, new to the forum, new to Oklahoma, or some combination thereof, and thought they might find a "Favorite Books" list helpful.

TERRIFIC BOOKS BY OKLAHOMA'S OWN LOUISE RIOTTE:

Roses Love Garlic: Companion Plants and Other Secrets of Flowers

Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening

Sleeping With A Sunflower: A Treasury of Old-Time Gardening Lore

Catfish Ponds and Lily Pads: Creating and Enjoying A Family Pond

WONDERFUL BOOKS RELATED TO VEGETABLE GARDENING:

The Vegetable Bible: A Texan's Guide to Gardening by Sam Cotner (Published in Jan. '86 and an EXCELLENT guide to vegetable growing. Out of print but can be found used on Amazon.com.)

Smith & Hawken: 100 Heirloom Tomatoes For the American Garden by Carolyn J. Male, 1999

Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening: The Total Guide to Growing Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs, and Other Edible Plants the Naural Way by J. Howard Garrett

All New Square-Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, 2006 or his earlier book, Square Foot Gardening, 1981

Great Garden Companions by Sally Jean Cunningham

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions by Edward C. Smith (W = wide row, O = organic, R = raised beds, and D = deep soil) ** By the time Ed wrote this book, I already gardened organically in wide, raised beds with deep soil, but it was great to see a book that tied it all together.**

OUTSTANDING BOOKS SPECIFIC TO OKLAHOMA:

Oklahoma Gardener's Guide by Steve Dobbs, 2001

Best Garden Plants for Oklahoma by Steve Dobbs and Laurie Peters

A GREAT BOOK FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO GARDEN FOR WILDLIFE:

Texas Wildscapes: Gardening for Wildlife by Doreen Damude and Kelly Conrad Bender

A GREAT BOOK FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO GARDEN WITH NATIVE PLANTS:

Native Texas Plants: Landscaping Region By Region by Sally Wasowski with Andy Wasowski. Ironically, I bought this book after moving to Oklahoma, NOT while living in Texas. Since we have similar climates, soils, and native plants, the data in this book is great for Oklahomans too, not just Texans. Any of the books by the Wasowskis are great.

A GREAT BOOK FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN ORGANIC GARDENING:

Organic Gardening by Maria Rodale. This book, written by the granddaughter of J. I. Rodale, the founder of "Organic Gardening" and "Prevention" magazines, is beautifully written, informative and had gorgeous photos.

It is not just about "how" to garden organically, but also "why" and is a wonderful source of information.

As far as that goes, ANY book about organic gardening by Rodale Publishing is worthwhile.

A GREAT BOOK ABOUT LANDSCAPING IN OUR CLIMATE:

Home Landscaping: Texas Plus Oklahoma by Greg Grant and Roger Holmes. My edition is from 2004, but I believe there is a newer, expanded edition out now with more landscape plans.

A GREAT BOOK ABOUT BED-BUILDING AND GARDENING IN GENERAL:

LASAGNA GARDENING by Patricia Lanza. (This book changed my thinking on how to build new garden beds. One caution, though. Pat recommends laying down newspaper or cardboard to smother the existing grass before you build your garden lasagna layers on top of it. If you have bermuda grass in the area where you're going to buld your bed, you'll have to remove the grass first because neither newspaper nor cardboard will keep that bermuda grass from rearing its' ugly head.) There's a couple or related books, too, about lasagna gardening in small spaces, lasagna gardening in containers, lasagna gardening with herbs, etc.

A GREAT BOOK FOR INSPRIRING GARDENERS:

Chicken Soup For The Gardener's Soul

AM AMAZING BOOK RELATED TO HERB GARDENING:

China Bayles' Book of Days: 365 Celebrations of the Mystery, Myth, and Magic of Herbs From the World of Pecan Springs by Susan Wettig Albert.

This book has a page for every day of the year and is chock full of herbal lore and history, recipes, etc. I just love it. The "China Bayles" in the book title is a fictional character in a line of herb-related mysteries that I love almost as much as I love chocolate. LOL More about them below.

GREAT GARDENING-RELATED FICTION:

Thyme of Death

Witche's Bane

Rosemary Remembered

Lavender Lies

and all the other books in the Susan Wettig Albert series that features China Bayles, former lawyer turned herb shop owner extraordinare. Each murder mystery features the herb in the title and not only entertains you, but teaches you about the use (and often misuse) of herbs.

The books have lots of herbal lore interwoven throughout the tale, and recipes, too! So far, there are at least 16 books in the series, and I just finished the most recent one, Spanish Dagger.

OK, there's my favorites. (I read a LOT!)

What are your favorites?

Dawn

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm