SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

: Official 2011 Seed Swap - Thread 3

soonergrandmom
13 years ago

It is January 26th, and the seeds are in the mail.

As I have said before, don't start trying to count and compare because I just do the best I can to make it even. Some packs are small, some are large, some are very desirable, some very common, so I just try to see that everyone gets a little of everything, and I also try to keep in mind what you have told me about your gardening space and what you like. I'm sure I don't do it perfectly and at the end I always seem to shuffle a few to help level it out. In addition, some come marked for a specific person.

It took me about 30 minutes in the Post Office to get everything weighed and shipped. One lesson that I learned (again) is that it is much easier to handle mailing when I have money instead of stamps. So whoever does this next year might keep that in mind.

The seeds this year didn't seem to be as bulky, yet it was still hard to get them in some of your envelopes, and some of them had to be switched.

Here is the deal on postage:

Some of you didn't send quiet enough and others sent far too much, so check your bags carefully for stamps or money, because I did return some. If you sent too much, and the left over amount was over $1, then I returned it in your bag. If it was less, I added it back in and used it for those that didn't send enough. It only cost me a couple bucks more and I am good with that. In fact, I think I paid less than last year when I returned money down to the penney. This is why it takes so much time at the post office, because I have them weigh the package before I seal it so I can return your extra money.

Dawn and Diane, Both of you will get a small Priority Mail box since you included enough money for that. Dawn, I didn't need to use the larger box that yours came in, so you can expect the small box and change. Everyone else will receive an envelope, and I used the one you sent whenever I could.

Larry - I have not mailed your Jerusalem Artichokes yet. They arrived to me on an extremely cold day and had been frozen and thawed. I know they can freeze on the plant when the ground freezes and are not damaged, but these appeared damaged when I opened them and some had turned to mush. I have them stored as George suggested so hopefully I won't lose anymore. Since my temps are still in the low 20's at night, I decided to hold off a few days and mail when it is a little warmer.

Three people sent seeds that wanted little or nothing in return, and several traders sent a huge number of packages so it was a very good swap and I will be surprised if anyone is disappointed.

Last year, most people received their seeds in two days, so I think most of you should have them either on Friday or Saturday. Unlike last year, they arrived to me quite smoothly and nothing got returned like last year. I hope we are just as lucky on the return trip.

I'll watch for the new postings as you change your minds about what you are planting. LOL Please post on this...

Comments (49)

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Carol - noted on the stamps. My bad...I thought that might make it easier for you and I hope you used any extra for someone else. Next year I'll send money. Money is good!

I'm so excited!!!! Maybe Lynn & Diane will only need a couple more days' supply of bibbs & Depends until they get some relief! LOL

Paula

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealllllllllllll*

• Related Discussions

Started a new thread: Secret Santa Seed Swap (3rd Annual)

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry about that, didn't see the other posting!
    ...See More

WANTED: ~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~ Sorting Seeds & Sending

Q

Comments (58)
    Merry Christmas!! I am so humbled and thankful for the appreciation and compliments. I was SO worried..lol. I tried really hard to find at least SOME things on wish lists and share other things that I had just a bit of. I'm just plain thrilled that everyone seems so happy thus far. Thanks to all of you for making this a fun and wonderful Christmas that I hope we can start a yearly tradition of doing. OH~ and by the way, our dear Texaspinkie's seed package finally arrived after looking thru many many states...lol. I'll be talking to her after Christmas about how to proceed with getting these seeds out to you all. If you receive a card in the mail.. that'd be why :) Merry Christmas to you all, may you find peace and joy in your gardens and in your lives in the coming year. ~Wendy
    ...See More

HAVE: Official Tomato and Pepper Seed Swap - It's a go

Q

Comments (48)
    I got my seeds in the mail today and was very impressed. Heather, you did a great job keeping track of such a large number of participants and getting the swap in order. I got several seeds that were on my "desperate to have" list, and quite a few others that I'm very interested in and looking forward to trying. Thanks so much! And thank you to everyone who participated and sent in such great seeds . . . hopefully we'll do this again next year!
    ...See More

Kansas City area swap....the official thread!!

Q

Comments (35)
    Ok, I think that everyone who has confirmed with me has received their map now... Hortist, I just e-mailed yours and another message, too. I am getting excited about meeting everyone! This will be a fun time! If for some reason, you were unable to open the attachments (map/directions) please let me know...I did send them in .pdf format because I thought that would be the most universal format. If you get a chance, you might list what food you are bringing here so we have an assortment, but I am sure it will be fine. I have plenty of tables, but don't forget to bring a chair... E-mail me if you have any other questions and I will check it tomorrow afternoon... See you all Saturday!!
    ...See More
  • carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

*practicing* "breath in through the nose, breath out through the mouth"...... repeat.

• leava
    13 years ago

i have read and duly noted all of the above and wow i bet it is hard to make up those pkgs,i run to indecisiveness and can't imagine...........then i had this funny thought, you could kind of have a seed swap to infinity and beyond if people got their pkgs,took out what they would use and reswapped.just think carol,you could like do this once a month forever..........lol,now running and hiding

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

squee!!! i'm so excited - this is completely ridiculous!!! how old am i- like 7 or something?!?!!

carol, you have worked so hard on this, and i for one am truly grateful, and already in love with everything that's heading my way.....

diane, you might have to share them thar depends... :)

dody

• p_mac
    13 years ago

WAIT!!!!.....Carol....did you say "next year"???? HA-HA!!!! I suppose that means......????

Paula
    (who's running and hiding with leava)

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Paula, I did say next year, for WHOM EVER does it. LOL

It was OK to send postage, but I had the lady getting her math practice as she would add up all the stamps that were with the package. She was plenty nice, but it is a bit of a hassle for her. Last year, I got a lady that had fun with it. She had to look down into every bag. And I made up the rules and I didn't care if I got stamps, but it is just easier with money.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol,

I'm sure you're happy this project is done and you can get back to your real life.

Thanks a million for all the time and energy you have put into the swap for two years running.

I was kind of surprised that the mail delivery problems from last year weren't repeated this year. I guess now your local post office really believes you do exist after all and are "there" right where your address says you are. Gee, now life might be kinda dull without the USPS aggravating you by returning packages intended for you.

The weather here is going to be perfectly gorgeous for the next three days, with a forecast high tomorrow in the low 60s and then in the upper 60s the two days after that. I'll be spending those warm sunny days outside working on some of the garden tasks on my "To Do" list so I can get ready for the planting season. I've been waiting forever for the mud to dry up and it finally has. That means that for at least the next three days, I won't be sitting down and revamping the 2011 Grow List after I get my swap box in the mail. When the weather turns somewhat yucky next week, there will be plenty of time for all the revising and rewriting of the list. With February approaching, it's time to get busy planning for the planting and seed-starting.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn, It has been better but I was still a little worried. My DH serves on a NOCCA board and last month they sent him his materials before the meeting. It was mailed from Miami, then returned to them because they said our address didn't exist. One of our Judge friends sent us a Christmas card and it got returned, so DH had already had the talk with the postman before the swap started. I think what saved the swap from problems was the timing. The temporary Christmas help had already been sent home, I guess. Our carrier sure gets upset when it happens, because it is inside the post office. When they find they have made a mistake, they black it out as much as possible and write on there that the address was wrong, but if you hold them just right you can see the indention of the letters and numbers, and they are not being truthful.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Dear Carol,

Thanks you so much for your your kind generosity, time and great patience of sorting, filling, packing, and all those maths skills. I have noted all those points, and learn a lot about seed swap etiquette. Next time I will send money plus a nice appreciation gift with extra seeds.

I never thought gardening would so exciting and thrilling. Probably I would not thought about extending garden if seed swap was not an option. I am waiting for seed envelop like anything... I also grateful to all generous contributors.

Have a wonderful and most productive gardening year 2011.

Cheers -Chandra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol,

So, on some days y'all exist and on other days you don't. That is really confusing.

Chandra,

If you think you have big garden plans now, just wait until you open your envelope and find all those seed packets inside! It is even better than Christmas for gardening maniacs like us!

All the seeds will have you back at the drawing board trying to figure out how to plant even more varieties of veggies in the space you have.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All of you are very welcome for my time, but the swap is only as good as the people who contribute. We have very generous people on this forum.

Chandra, you need not send me anything. My DH laughs a little about me doing this, because I am not a 'joiner' by nature, and frankly don't really consider myself a people person. Although I have been in management, I am just as happy if someone gives me an assignment, and puts me in a corner with a computer to get it done. Except for Church meetings and a few shopping trips, I am just really content to be at home. I love to be in the garden and can't wait until it is time to plant. I have totally enjoyed being a part of this group, so I am willing to do a few things now and then to keep it interesting and to encourage others to take part.

I will never be the gardener that some of the members on this forum are, but I raise a lot of our food, and it is terrific exercise for me.

I didn't need seeds so I didn't even count out an equal share for myself. Several people sent me things that I wanted to try and they arrived with my name on them. Occasionally I would see something else that I wanted to try and would toss it over in a little box for myself, but I just didn't need very much. It is fun for me to see everyone's reation when they get their package. I always hope that no one will be disappointed.

I have made good friends here and I value their friendship.

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

IT'S HERE!!! IT'S HERE!!! ***hyperventilating***

I'm going to run outside now and post a "FOR SALE BY OWNER" sign in front of my house. There's simply not enough garden space to grow all these wonderful goodies -- and yes, I MUST grow them all.

The previous gardening season was the "Year of the Tomato". This years plan was to be the "Year of the Pepper" but now the peppers may have to share the honor with the beans, peas, squash, okra along with several other items that I'm not 100% sure I know what they are right now. How cool!!! I'll be spending the next several hours online researching.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all the extremely generous folks who sent so many wonderful things!!!

Lynn

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Oh could it possibly be true? This can only mean one thing. My letter carrier will be misdelivering mine aobut this time tomorrow. I hope it's to a nongardener who will not recognize its value and return it to the PO. LOL

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the word is out that there are numerous Oklahoma gardeners that are on the very edge of 'going postal' so the PO is improving it's performance just in case. LOL

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Woo-hoo! My DW just called me and told that got a "BIG SURPRISE GIFT", GOT THE SEED PACKAGE!! the way she expressed looks like many many surprises...my English vocabulary is so little that I could not get a proper words to express how excited I am. I am unable to debug my program anymore, thinking to just run home right away!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

• dodemeister
    13 years ago

mine's here too!!!! i'm gob smacked!!!! thank you so much everyone!!! there are so many new things for me to try... i'm stunned!!!

i am so proud and happy that y'all have included me in this online family. the generosity of your knowledge, encouragement, and now your seeds is overwhelming. i'm getting all schmeepy just thinking about it....

off to contact the owner of the vacant property next door to mine :)

dody :)

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Seedmama, I can relate to challenging letter carriers. In fact, I'd go so far as to say ours borders on passive-aggressive. I keep hoping for a route transfer but so far, no luck. Each time a package comes in damaged or ripped (the seed package today from Carol was half opened), it always makes me wonder. With all the recent seed catalogs delivered, there's no doubt as to our hobby. The least she can do if she's helping herself is leave a thank you note. lol

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention on my "It's Here" post, in addition to the seed package, I received the latest issue of Mother Earth News. Can it get any better than that?

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn, Did it look like anything was missing, or could you tell? I suppose it is possible I didn't get it closed good enough in the post office, but I don't think I missed one. The postal lady almsot put one in the bin before I got it closed, but then she got the idea and started giving them back to me.

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Carol, I truly doubt it was you not sealing the package well enough. There's much, much more to our postal woes story. I am curious as to how (and with what) it was sealed when it left your hands or whether you kept a tally of total seed packs sent to each individual. That would certainly tell me if any funny business went on this time. I've had an uncanny amount of incoming seed trade packages simply disappear. Coincidence?!? Perhaps, but it seems a stretch at best.

No worries as I'm absolutely thrilled with what I received.

• p_mac
    13 years ago

MINE'S HERE TOOOO!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I am so totally, completely, absolutely deliriously happy with my package!!! Santa Carol - how long is that list you must keep and check way more than twice on wishes??? Yes, I should have held off buying ANY seed...because all I want and more is in that precious envelope that I just ripped open and spread on the kitched table. DH kinda thought dinner should be there instead...and I'll get to it...later!

I also got my Reimer order with my Lady peas...and I've got enough of those to share with a third world country. So okay...I'm stepping out of denial...I may HAVE to till up part of last years new garden spot....shhhh! Don't tell DH just yet....I gotta get his supper on the table first. As my dear friend, The Rock Whisperer would say..."oh wurra, wurra!"

Thank you all, a REALLY BIG thank you also to you Santa Carol. You and everyone here that shared are absolutely amazing and one of the best blessings I've EVER been given...next to my kids.

• jlhart76
    13 years ago

Holy smokes, I'm amazed! Quite a few things I've never thought of growing, but now I'll have to try them just to see. I feel kinda guilty; what I sent wasn't near as nice as what I got in return. Thanks to everyone who's helping turn me into a gardener!

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Okay, that does it. I'm moving back to Oklahoma so my swap package gets here quicker.

Diane

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Diane - come on HOME! I've got space to stash you and all the family til you find your next Nirvana! Poopy on Norman housing code restrictions! (I know you won't...but I can at least offer!)

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Keith - I mailed your okra yesterday, then when I started to clean up my mess I found a small pack of tomato seeds with your name on it. I will mail them to you in a couople of days. I tried to send this privately, but you GW email isn't available. Have you thought of any other seed you need, because I have a lot of my own.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Santa Carol,
    I am totally stormed with surprise after surprise!!! absolutely happy with my package! I never expected I am going to get so many types of seeds. All most all names of the varieties are new to me, never heard about them before. I will tell you all, its going to be most exciting gardening year. It looks like going to be year of tomatoes and peppers. Big Thanks to you (all) again for arranging this wonderful swap.

Dawn- Thank you for all those tomatoes seeds, you have filled ~70% of tomato wish list.

Now I am busy browsing internet for their pics, characteristics, DTMs, etc.

Paula, I have taken 2hrs half from work tomorrow and going with our landscape contractor to buy timber and other materials for raised beds at Lumber2 (sooner rd/240).

Cheer -Chandra

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Wow! Got my package, too, and am totally shocked at how many packets there are.

So sorry, Carol! Since this is my first swap, I really had no idea I should have:

1. Sent $ instead of stamps;
    2. Sent an entire booklet of stamps;
    3. Sent a legal size bubble envelope.

I am going to send extra $ to you to compensate for the extra postage it took. Yes, my bad!

I am totally thrilled and thank you so much, and thanks to the other gardeners who were so generous with their seeds!

Lots of new things to try. Chandra, I'll also be looking at spending a couple (at least) hours searching the Internet to look at these new types to find out about them, but after I go to Kenna's award ceremony. She made the honor roll (again) and is receiving a "Thankful Hearts" award as well.

Susan

• leava
    13 years ago

wow and wow and wow
    doing the seed happy dance and gloating
    and wondering how some of this looks and tastes and how fun it will be to find out..............
    thank you carol and thank you each one who sent seeds,this year it will be like planting a friendship garden :)

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Holy cow! That thing in my mailbox looked more like a king size pillow than an envelope of seeds! It turns out the mailman got it right, sort of. He also included tax information for about 6 other people in town. We all have the same street number, but we are on different streets. Sigh.

But back to the seeds! I picked them up on the way to an awards ceremony, but couldn't open them. I spent the drive helping my son practice his acceptance speech and couldn't look. Besides, if Oprah knew I was thumbing my seed packets while driving, she'd call me on the show and make me sign a contract!

It's going to take me a very long time to thank everyone, but didn't want to delay in acknowledging receipt of such an incredible assortment. Hubby commented on the quantity of peas in Carol's bag of Melting Mammouth. THAT, I told him, is referred to as a "big, honking bag". You weren't kidding!

Thanks, everyone, and more individual thanks to come!

Seedmama

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan, Don't send anything to me. I am good with everything as it is, and I didn't ask for money instead of postage, but have learned it does make it easier. My expenses were a little postage and a few bags, and were nothing that I didn't expect. It all works for me, so just enjoy your seeds.

Actually, I had the advantage of getting first choice. LOL I finally looked at my seeds and I probably did take a fair share because I got some really good things.

Susan, there was a white envelope in yours with nothing written on it. I assumed that was the seeds that you sent to me. Was I right?

I'm glad everyone is pleased with what they got, and I hope the rest of you get to see yours today.

Melissa, I am holding your, so if you read this, give me a call and we can meet somewhere.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol,

Mine arrived today, safe and sound, unopened and all in one piece. Thank you and thanks to everyone who contributed to the swap.

I've only looked through them briefly because I'm rushing to finish cooking before the fire pagers go off. Maybe they won't go off at all, but we've already had two bad days here this week, so the odds are that they will. All I have to do is start a garden project, and the pagers sound.....

There's so many interesting new varieties in my box, but I'd have to create a whole new garden to try them all this year. I will be planting some of them this year though adding some to the spring planting list and saving others for summer or fall succession crops.

Chandra, You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help a bit with your wish list.

Seedmama, Hope the awards ceremony and acceptance speech were a smashing success!

Carol, It is harder and harder to find anything to send you that I think you might not already have in your stash, but I always try.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn, You did very well this year and sent me many new things. I can't wait to plant the brugs. I want them everytime I hear you talk about yours, but never remember to buy any.

I have the same problem in making seed distribution because I can tell by what you send that you already have everything, so I know you don't get a lot of 'new to you' things. All I can do is try to give you a fair share (which really isn't fair because you send so many), so I guess I should say I try to give everyone an equal share.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol,

I was hoping the brugs would tickle your fancy, but now I have no idea how to surprise you next year. It is fun to try though.

I'm always happy with anything and everything you send. It is OK if I don't get a lot that are "new to me". I'm happy regardless.

I send so many in my endless quest to enable others to go hog wild at planting time.....

It is so warm today that I want to plant right now! However, with snow, sleet or a wintery mix in next week's forecast, I guess I won't.

Dawn

• lat0403
    13 years ago

I got mine today! I was sad because I wasn't even going to have time to open it since I was supposed to be getting fish today. Live animals have to take priority over seeds! But Apparently FedEx's plane broke so I won't get my (dead) fish until Monday now. But at least I get to look at my seeds!

Anyway... This package is awesome! Sorry about the postage shortage, though. I thought I was sending more than enough. Thanks for doing this, Carol! And thanks to everyone else for the seeds!

Leslie

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Carol, yes, the white envelope contained seeds for you and Dani. I thought I put a note in it to indicate your milkweed and Spacemaster seeds, and others for Dani, but knowing me, I probably lost it somewhere before it got into the envelope. Thank you for doing such a grand job! I like this better than playing the lottery, because it's a sure deal.

Chandra, if you read this, I saw Marc and Jeanine at OKC Organics today. I went in to buy potting mix (got Fox Farms) and bought some seed trays and domes, too. They are just fantastic! Did you see their grow room in the back? They have broccoli that was heading nicely and tomatos (Stupice and a couple cherries) and all kinds of herbs growing in it. Wow! I was very impressed. Not one dried up leaf on any of their plants. They use different spectrums of grow lights, and the plants look purple when you see them. The light doesn't seem very bright - almost light a black light effect. But, wow, do they grow!

Susan

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Susan, I have been there once, but only saw hydroponics plants inside the store area. But not got chance to see their grow room in the back. I hope I can able to visit their shop one of the weekend. I think they might have leg grow lights? Some people recommended led lights, when I calculated cost, it comes much much expansive than what I built.
    Thank you -Chandra

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Yes, they do use the LED lights. You're right, they are more expensive, but I guess they are more energy efficient and last longer, too. Anyway, I'm so glad I went and got acquainted with them.

Now, onward and upward toward looking up all these strange, beautifully named seeds I've got here.....I feel like I've fallen into Alice's rabbit hole and there are untold adventures ahead.....

Susan

• okieladybug
    13 years ago

I got my seeds and just want to say a huge THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Carol for organizing and to everyone who shared seeds with me. This is such a huge blessing, ya'll don't even know! I was SO excited to go through them and make the list of what I had! This is going to be my best ever garden yet...I can feel it in my bones! :)

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

Carol,

Keith - I mailed your okra yesterday, then when I started to clean up my mess I found a small pack of tomato seeds with your name on it. I will mail them to you in a couple of days. I tried to send this privately, but you GW email isn't available. Have you thought of any other seed you need, because I have a lot of my own.

I received my 'Santa Claus' yesterday. Thanks for the extras. I wasn't ignoring your post as I didn't see this until this morning. My new job isn't really any more physically demanding than any other work I've done, but after being unemployed for 12 months it takes some time for an 'old man' to get back in shape. I've been coming home from work and just resting and not even getting on the internet. Yesterday at about 2:00 the fatigue started setting in and by quitting time I was what I call Dawg Tired.

The packet of tomato seed will be interesting, I'll look forward to it but really I'm 'Spatially Challenged'.

I've tried several times to change my settings to allow members only to see my Email addy and even sent an email to GW asking if any thing could be done but didn't receive a reply back. I really don't have any thing to hide, but don't want my addy to be quite that available to just anyone. When I receive those feel good emails requesting me to forward to others and all these wonderful things will happen, I delete them.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this seed swap and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Keith

• Melissa
    13 years ago

Ok, seriously.....today was the first day I got the chance to come look at the forums.....now picture me jumping up & down like I'm going to wet my pants!! lol I can't wait to meet you Carol and get my seeds. I don't even care if I have only a few seeds I just like getting new and different seeds. I have tried something new every year for the past two years and will continue because this is the only way I can find out exactly what will do well in my garden. This year I would like to concentrate more on herbs. I'd like to start drying herbs and making my own spice mixes. I haven't yet talked my hubby into building on a sunroom for a year round garden though. Which, is what I really want.
    I am really excited to get the garden started as are the kids. They actually helped me put my seed envelope together. I think they get just as excited as I do about getting seeds. My five year old is starting to show a great interest in them as well, lol. Hopefully, starting them early will make them experts by the time they are my age.
    Ok, now I need to get my dirt mixture ready and pots ready to start seeds indoors. I think I will try Carol's container method from last year which was small paper cups. Those worked well and are cheap. Now, maybe I can kick my husband from my office so I can use his study space for my seeds. Well, maybe not....hmmmm....looks around the house........where oh where..........

By the way........I love this place.....I would rather come here and read all the posts about gardening and such than go to the mall shopping!! lol I'm pretty much like Carol....I like being home and being in my garden.

I will call you Carol and thank you again.

Melissa

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

I am just about to hyperventilate waiting for today's mail to arrive...

Diane

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I think it's safe to say that you won't be getting "only a few seeds". lol

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

It's finally here and I have to say: I'm so disappointed. There just aren't enough seeds to do anything with at all. I might as well not even bother gardening this year.

NOT!!!!

Oh, man, once again I cannot believe how much there is! And, Carol, you are a genius -- or a mind reader -- or, more likely, a bit of both. I am amazed! Thank you all so much!!!

Forget whatever initial plans I had. I'm going to spend the rest of this weekend updating my stash spreadsheet and redoing my grow lists for everything. Holy cow. I've informed hubby that we need to buy up an additional five acres from the neighbors. Now.

Diane

• seedmama
    13 years ago

"I love this place.....I would rather come here and read all the posts about gardening and such than go to the mall shopping!! "

Amen. Do they still have malls?

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Molls? You mean like Al Capone and Bugsy Malone's girlfriends?

Heehee - I need to update my spreadsheet to, but for now I am just googling (literally and figuratively) all these seeds! I did get them separated into "cool season" "warm season" and "fall season", and after drooling some more, I took a nap!

Susan

• Melissa
    13 years ago

Ok, you all stop talking about these spreadsheets!! Now, you went and did it. My seeds are the one thing that I am not organized on. I do have them separated into two spots, one for veggies/herbs and the other for flowers. But, no you all had to keep talking about updating your spreadsheets. So, a co-working recently introduced me to Microsoft One Note. Oh my!! It is amazing and you create notebooks with tabs. It is so awesome. So, instead of a spreadsheet I am making a notebook with One Note. I will have one notebook for my seeds that I have with tabs for my veggies, herbs, flowers, etc. Then I am going to fix another notebook to start keeping notes on the types of plants I am planting this year and how they are doing, what I've used as fertilizer, how often watered, how I babied them, and so on.

I am still looking for a tiller though. Darn it. I do have plenty of straw. We bought straw for the dogs to keep them warm inside & out of the doghouse, but they thought it was for the mere pleasure of ripping the bales to shreds. ugh!! So one very very cold day last month, I hauled 6 wheel barrow's full of straw back to the garden.

I think I am turning my strawberry plants under this year though. They haven't produced much the past 3 years and they are really more hassel than worth. Besides, there are so much more I could use that space for. Although I don't know what but I will once I get my seed packet from Carol. Sorry strawberries, you've been voted out!!

Melissa

• mrsfrodo
    13 years ago

The seeds arrived last Thursday- so Carol THANK YOU- for all the work you put into the seed swap. I have everthing I requested and more- thanks to Chanra and Lynn. Now that Mark's son is moved in, I can go back to planning the garden instead of making space in the house.

Again... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Andria

• jcheckers
    13 years ago

What a thrill this morning to open the door of the greenhouse and walk in to find the first bloom on the red morning glories I planted on November 21!

For those of you who received red morning seed in the seed swap marked NOID, this is what you got!

Keith