SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Milky Spore Disease questions

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

We had a discussion about peach-ripening time about Japanese beetles working their way up into Oklahoma. A few weeks later, after most of my peaches were harvested, I saw some kind of beetle-looking insects on the remaining peaches and they flew back and forth from my raised beds to the trees. I couldn't tell what they were feeding on, it was either tomatoes or cucumbers, maybe.

Somebody said they had gotten Japanese Beetle traps and that they were working well. I ran into some research on Japanese Beetles when I was trying to find ways to rid myself of a mole or a vole that has come to my yard before -- last year he didn't do any damage but the year before he got into the raised beds and uprooted some things.

I am reading now that if you have moles you have Japanese Beetles, and the reason the moles come through your yard is because they are eating the larvae in the form of grubs, underground, and that to get rid of the moles you just get rid of the larvae that draws them. According to what I have read, the only non-chemical cure is to apply Milky Spore. They say that the traps do more harm than good because they attract more of the beetles into your yard, thereby increasing the numbers of larvae under your grass. However I'm kind of confused because if you trap the beetles and they die, how do you end up with larvae? But anyway...

So what do all of you think, apparently the milky spores take awhile to work, but it lasts for years. I'm thinking a late frost will probably kill the blooms on the peach trees this year, as I had a great crop last summer and I've never had crops two years in a row before. So if I put milky spore down this spring maybe by the time I get more peaches I'll have had time to kill all the larvae. I'm not worried about the larvae ruining the grass as some people are b/c I have Bermuda (Take my Bermuda .....please!) LOL

I've added a link to one of the sites I went to, I don't know anything about their service or anything and I'm not promoting them, but there's lots of information there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. --Ilene

Here is a link that might be useful: About Milky Spore

Comments (3)