SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Oklahoma Drought Conditions Deepen

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

The fall/winter dry spell is reflected in the latest drought maps released this week. Depending on where you live in Oklahoma, you may find your area classified in one of the following categories: Abnormally Dry, Moderate Drought, or Severe Drought. Some areas of Oklahoma haven't dried out enough to make it into the "Abnormally Dry" area yet, but that area is enlarging weekly.

If you look at the Rainfall Departure Map, you'll see that our good areas (green and blue) continue to shrink while the other colored areas (indicating lower rainfall) continue to grow.

For the first time in months, on the Drought Seasonal Outlook Map near the bottom of the linked page, they've changed our forecasted conditions (for now through April) to reflect the drought will persist at its current pace or even worsen. Prior to this week, the U. S. Drought Monitor insisted "improvement" was expected.

We're still a long way from the extreme to exceptional conditions experienced during the last major drought in 2005-2006, but we continue to move in that direction.

I've ordered seeds but I am starting to wonder if I will plant them.

Remember, too, that plants still need water to keep their roots moist during the cold season since dry roots freeze and die more easily than moist roots.

The lastest drought monitor maps and charts are linked below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought Maps

Comments (4)