SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilliumgreen

transitioning to a new hedge

trilliumgreen
16 years ago

A year ago we moved into a house with a small yard and a photinia hedge. The hedge provides a few useful functions; it helps to hide the chain-link fence and creates a little privacy (we like to hang out on our front porch). But, it is unfortunately photinia. I am not especially fond of the red leaves, but the larger problem is that it has leaf-spot (no surprise) and already looks worse this year than it did last (pic is from last year). Since I don't want to use chemicals to keep the leaf-spot under-control, it seems like the photinia has got to go.

I want to replace it with an evergreen shrub. Right now I am leaning towards replacing it with sunshine blueberry, since it is evergreen, I like the color of the foliage, the blueberries would be an extra plus, and 3-4 ft tall seems like a good size for the space (the chain link fence is 3 ft). I am open to other shrub suggestions though. Also, does anyone have any good ideas about how to transition into a new hedge? I could live with the chain -link fence being so prominent for a couple of years until the blueberries get bigger, but would prefer not to. I have thought about interplanting a temporary plant (maybe a vine? - other thoughts). I know that if I go with the blueberry I'd have to be caring planting or taking anything out down the road because the blueberry roots are shallow/don't like to be disturbed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments (9)