SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Brutally Cold Weather Arrives Wednesday

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Are y'all watching the weather?

We certainly have a serious cold front arriving around Wed. that will bring us the coldest temperatures so far this winter. I noticed after checking the forecast morning lows that for many of us, the low temperatures will drop below the usual "average winter low" for our growing zones. It seems most of us will have low temps one zone colder than we normally experience. So, if you have in-ground plantings that are sort of marginally cold-hardy in your zone 6 or zone 7 location, you might want to add a little extra mulch, or throw an old blanket or sleeping bag over them at night (assuming they're small enough to cover up).

For most of us, sufficient precipitation has fallen in recent weeks so the root zones are good and moist and that's a good thing because dry roots freeze more easily than moist ones.

I'm going to have to bring in about 15 containers of hibiscus and pepper (still producing!) plants, and my containerized Angel's Trumpets. They normally sit on the patio on above-freezing days and in the somewhat well-insulated garage/barn at night, but it is not heated so I can't leave them out there when we dip down into single digits at the end of the week.

If you have rosemary in the ground and it is still green, be sure to cover it up. Rosemary can take some cold weather but probably not weather as cold as what we'll see in the latter half of the week.

We'll be adding an extra layer of hay to help keep the chickens warm in their coops, and likely will put a heat-lamp type light bulb in their coops to generate a little heat on Wed.-Sat. nights.

If you want to see the latest NWS info you can look at the page linked below. I think the coldest temperatures I saw mentioned on there earlier was -2 for the Ponca City area on the coldest night of the week. Brrrr!

Don't forget too that those are actual temps and the wind chill will be even worse.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Enhanced Weather Page

Comments (23)