SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moleman_64

Can someone please help with a plant ID?

moleman_64
16 years ago

Can anyone please help me to ID a plant? It's a perenial sunflower (therefore heliopsis, rather than helianthus if I understand correctly... but I'd happily stand corrected). It's driving me bananas that I can't remember the correct name for it, since it's a real favorite of mine. Unfortunately, Google hasn't helped (one of those cases where it's easy to find if you know EXACTLY what you're looking for, I'm sure!!!).

It's a lower-growing sunflower, which spends a lot of its time as a burgundy red-colored ground-cover, then takes off in the spring to about two feet (the leaves have a red tinge at the base, and appear at approximately every 60 degrees around the stem), and it suddenly explodes in a riot of single blooms (yellow, of course) in very late spring/early summer.

I'm trying to figure out its light requirements, before I commit to transplanting a bunch to a somewhat shady spot on a back hill (where I appear to have aquilegia doing beautifully and about to bloom en mass, if that helps). I could just do the experiment, of course, but if anyone can help me track down the species I'm dealing with, it would be a big help! It's my second season of gardening in NE, having come here from Richmond, VA, so I'm still not quite calibrated!

Thanks a million for any help you can offer!

Steve

PS... If anyone locally would like some, I seem to have plenty - all you have to do is ask!!!! I know this isn't the plant-swap forum, but the alternative I thought of for the spot was japanese anemone... I could use some later season bloom. Does anyone have any to spare?

Comments (2)