SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Apparently The Time To Start Seeds Is 'Now'

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Don't blame me for this. It is not my fault.

This morning I was watching our local news channel and a Texas Master Gardener who was being interviewed had a 72-cell starter flat of somewhat-leggy tiny seedlings and was discussing how to start seeds. You know, it was just one of the typical little 2-minute space filler type of stories that local stations in rural areas use a lot to fill time because sometimes there just isn't much actual local news.

When the news anchor asked something like "when should people be starting their seeds like this", the Master Gardener replied "now".

Now? Uh oh, that wrecks my schedule because I was going to wait another month. Now, suddenly, I am "behind schedule". : )

All kidding aside, this was a Master Gardener from the Denison, TX, area which is a good distance east of us and which has a last frost date about 10 days earlier than mine. Down here, rural TV stations are few and far between and cover a huge geographic area. So, if I lived in the Denison area, I might be starting seeds now too.

I do wish they had made it more clear that everyone in the station's viewing area needed to research and figure out their own last frost date and then choose a seed-starting date based on that, and not just arbitrarily say "now" as if all of us watching on TV from, say Bonham, TX, to Ada, OK, to Ringling, OK, to Muenster, TX, should be starting our seeds at the same time.

However, since the Master Gardener said "now", maybe I'll just go ahead and start my seeds. Or, maybe not. However, if I was looking for an excuse to start my seeds too early, now I have one.

I should point out that when the news anchor asked how to start the seeds, the Master Gardener said "in a greenhouse" as if all of us have nice, heated greenhouses that will be able to keep seedlings alive next week when we're right at/below freezing 24/7 for a couple of days. There was no mention of starting seeds indoors under lights, or even of the less well-known (to the general public) winter-sowing. I know I'm being nitpicky, but the story was not as helpful as I'd hope it would be for less experienced gardeners.

Now, I'm off to start thumbing through my seed packets so I can figure out what seeds to start "now".

Dawn

Comments (21)