SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

Final Information for NH Spring Plant Swap

annie_nh
14 years ago

The plant swap is Sunday, June 7th, at 10 am in Goffstown, NH.

It looks like we will have about 25 people attending our plant swap (14 Garden Web Members and about 10 others who are from the local area). There is still room for anyone else who would like to attend.

Here is information for those of you who are new to this swap..

Bring as few or as many plants as you wish. Also bring a lawn chair and bug spray. While we are setting up we will have coffee and goodies and after the swap I'll have soup and salad for those of you who would like to stay and chat.You are welcome to make a contribution to the food table if you wish.

If the weather is nice we will set up our plants on the lawn and then I will explain our way of swapping which is pretty laid back. If it rains ( let's hope not) we will set up the plants in the barn and breeze-way and the format for swapping will be even more laid back. At the end of the swap you can put any plants that you don't want to take back home in the middle of the lawn ( or barn) and any one who wants them can take them home. No one will go home empty handed.

I encourage all of you who are Garden Web members to list on this Post the plants you are bringing and plants you are looking for so that you can set up some swaps ahead of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing my old friends and meeting some new ones.

Please email me if I have not already sent you directions to my home.

Annie

Comments (48)

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a list of my wants and haves.

I would love a jack in the pulpit,a trilium, and a gentian.I know these are rare so tell me something special you are looking for in exchange.
    Here is what I have dug up so far.
    Spiderwart
    blue cardinal flower
    red monarda
    scented geranium pink
    wild geranium pink and blue
    fever few
    white daisies
    evening primrose
    regular primrose
    garden heliotrope
    lupin (baby ones as they are the only ones that transplant well.)
    lady bells
    bleeding heart
    phlox
    turtlehead
    perennial batchelor buttons
    cone flower
    agastache
    obedient plant
    astilbe
    meadow rue
    I also have loads of hibiscus seedlings( started them from seeds that I took off my hibiscus bushes) and a few small rose of sharons that have seeded themselves

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Hi Annie, I can dig up a white trillium for you. Give me a couple more years and I'll be able to give you a burgundy one too.

Since I did such a great job weeding the garden this weekend, after seeing your list of plants I realized I "weeded" all of my blue lobelia! Don't you hate when that happens?!?! LOL! So I could use some of that to replace my excellent weeding job!! I was wondering what those very healthy weeds were! Stupid! I usually wait to see what plants do before I rip them out, but I just kept pulling anything I didn't recognize or remember planting. OOPS!

• Related Discussions

NH Spring Plant Swap

Q

Comments (17)
    I am interested in the plant swap. I live in eastern MA and have an abundance of some things, although I don't know if people really want them or not. I have to trade: *yellow raspberry bushes (Fall Gold variety--I think) they bear two crops per year. I have a lot of wooded area in my backyard and also have: *jack-in-the pulpit Other plants I have extras of are: *Spirea (not sure what variety, but has pink flowers) *hostas (not sure of the variety, but most of mine have solid green leaves *some purple coneflower, * a few lupine (pink/purple/blue) *some orange "ditch lilies" *some Siberian irises *some mint *some chives *some dusty miller *I also have a plant which grows about 6-8 feet tall with a 3-4 inch yellow/orange flower on top of which I don't know the name of I would like to get some idea from someone as to which plants would likely be in demand as to make sure I bring plenty. Please post a follow-up if you have any idea as to which of these plants would likely be in demand for swaps. Thanks. Peter Hendrickson Milford, MA
    ...See More

have: nh spring plant swap

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm looking forward to it! I have plenty of red bee balm (gets invasive - be forewarned!), some comfrey (same deal), and blackstem peppermint (umm... invasive seems to be a theme here!) I'll also have a few wintersown herb seedlings like mullein, horehound, and hyssop. Didn't get around to WS'ing many annuals - doh! Still waiting for some of the WS perennials to sprout, and assessing some of the weird winter-kill I've had in my herb garden (who knew catnip and lemon balm could die out over a strange winter???) I'm not looking for much in particular. I love herbs and berries and perennials, and would actually like to grow Russian comfrey and walking onions if anyone has some... and maybe lemon balm to replace mine that died. Hope all this rain stops by June! Nightingale :o)
    ...See More

NH Spring Plant Swap

Q

Comments (99)
    Have reserved Blue Fescue plants : sasha-nh (TY for S&S hosta) and annie nh Will bring additional for the taking/trading. Its a very pretty plant that can be ignored once planted. It is not particular about soil either. Lisa(ishareflowers), thank you so much for bringing sweet woodruff for me! No tornado damage here, although high winds did take down a few tree limbs. Just north of me by 10 miles did take a hit, especially Sturbridge and Brimfield. Springfield and Munson have unbelievable serious damage where the tornado touched down. Very sad the amount of property damage sustained in the tornado path, which seemed to follow along the towns on the Mass Pike. Susan
    ...See More

9th Annual NH Spring Plant Swap Final Information

Q

Comments (79)
    Thank you everyone for coming to the swap.I think everyone had a great time. I know I did. I can't believe the food you people brought. It was gourmet awesome. I hope we get recipes . Those of you who left things behind, I have put them on top of the refrigerator and you can pick them up in the fall. I was out today starting to plant all my treasures. Lisa, I have put the coral bells in a shady moist area vey near my red astilbe. I will be giving it tender loving care. I also planted my chocolate joe Pye weed in a place of honor in my garden. It is just awesome. How tickled I am, Deidre, to have this beautiful plant. I also planted dahlias, sedums,jack in the pulpits, lavender,and butter fly weed all wonderful plants I will be getting up early tomorrow to plant the rest of my treasures I put some pictures on Facebook If you are not a member you can ask to be my friend and that should get you on.
    ...See More
  • pjhendrick
    14 years ago

Here is a list of plants I plan to bring.
    *Jack-in-the-pulpit--I have lots of them in my shady somewhat swampy backyard.
    *ferns--don't know what kind, but probably about 3-4 feet tall, if people are interested
    *hostas--again a lot of them, but mostly the green type.
    *Fall Gold raspberries (I think this is the variety. They are yellow and bear two crops per year)--I have lots and lots of these
    *some mums that have seeded from other mums
    *a few white columbine
    *some Siberian irises
    *some orange lilies
    *some purple coneflower (echinacea)
    *a few lupine--color range from pink-purple
    *some small forsythia bushes
    *mint
    *some dusty miller
    *some tall perrenial(6-8 feet tall) with a 3-4 flower on its top
    *spirea--I mean all you could ever want--If you want more, I'll be happy to ship you some if I didn't bring enough
    *some purple coneflower
    *I could even bring a couple bamboo shoots if anyone is interested (some type of green running bamboo)
    *I also have quite a bit of Solomon's seal--I think
    The plants I would be most interested in would be some colorful perennials and annuals that I don't have
    such as
    *gazania
    *creeping phlox
    *marigolds
    *more daylilies (I have some Stella D'Oro)
    *peonies
    *small seedlings of fruit or ornamental trees
    I'll probably think of more stuff later, but this is a good start.
    Peter Hendrickson

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Peter
    quite an impressive list. I would love a couple of jack in the pulpits. I can give you a gazinia and some daylilies.
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Good Morning,

Peter, I'd love a couple jack in the pulpit and can bring you a peony or two in exchange.

Lisa

• defrost49
    14 years ago

PJhendrick, I would love a spirea.
    Annie: I would love some evening primrose.
    I am bringing:
    lambs ears (right now they don't look so good)
    lemon lily - yellow, fragrant, smaller than day lilies
    lemon balm
    southernwood
    6 pack of first year coral bells I shouldn't have bought
    oregano thyme - spreads, good in cooking
    anise hyssop (agastache)
    seedlings: Mexican Mint Marigold (can be subbed for tarragon), various basils, Clary sage

My basils germinated well inside but I have them outside and they don't seem to be growing. Just barely have first true leaves. What a spring.

• sinbadsmom
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I am planning to come to the swap this will be my first year, sounds like fun.!
    I am looking for some hens and chicks, a geum would be nice, there was something else I wanted and can't think of it right now. O! creeping phlox
    I can bring several named daylilies
    jack in the pulpits
    bleeding heart
    solomon seal and var. s.seal
    var. merry bells
    hosta
    have a couple small plants of cimicifuga
    campanula (blue flowers)
    bloodroot
    dutchmans breeches (corms)
    cherokee sunset gaillardia

• diane4000
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here's what I'll be bringing. Please let me know if you're interested. I'm looking for any type of salvia and flowering annuals this year. Thank you!

Diane

Basil (seedlings)
    Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) (1)
    Chrysanthemum, yellow (4)
    Lovage (4)
    Vanilla grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum) (2)

House plants:

Orchid pansy, pink (Achimenes) (2)
    Oxalis depressa, pink (1)
    West African fig (Ficus vogelii), rooted cuttings (2)
    White blood flower (Haemanthus albiflos) (1)

• diane4000
    14 years ago

Corrected link:
    Oxalis depressa, pink

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Sinbadsmom,

I would love some named daylillies and dutchmens breeches. I have a guem plant and three types of hens and chicks that I'll pot up and put your name on.

Lisa

• sasha_nh
    14 years ago

Hey all,

I've potted up some ravenswing,pink bachelor button(gave some to MMQCHDYGG last year...hope she loves it),low growing sedum (forget the variety),yellow archangel, and whatever else I can find around here. Would love a Dutchman corm,astilbe...
    see you all on the 7th

Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marsha
    I would love some pink bachelor button. I can give you an astilbe.
    Annie

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Hey groupies:
    I think I can make it; sorry for not checking in. While I haven't dug anything up YET, I'm sure I can come up with:

Golden Tiara Hosta- this is a mini green/yellow one. Nice for small edging. I'll have several.
    Annuals- I'm nearly out of space in my gardens, but my winter-sown jugs are still full! I'll have:
    Marigolds- I have Inca II Primrose, Summer Splash, Disco, and something else. I'll pot them up into individual cups or something.
    4:00s- Teatime Rose. Got a big bowl full of these.
    Zinnias- They're still small enough that they won't have 'transplant' issues, so they'll be good to go. I forget what all I have in that department.
    Other annuals. If I think of it, I'll take inventory and get a list.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of perennials to divide this spring, so I won't have much in that regard. Hit me up in the fall, and I'll have chunks of bee balm, purple siberian iris, shasta daisies, and some other tidbits for you.

Oh, and Marsha- the Pink BB lived! It's not in bloom yet, but it's the one thing I'm really looking forward to this year. Thanks again!

• sinbadsmom
    14 years ago

Marsha, I would love some pink bachelor button I can bring some dutchmans breeches, Kathie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Marsha,

sign me up for pink bb if there's enough to go around!

Lisa

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi MMQCHDYGG
    so glad you are able to make the swap. Are you bringing your bowling ball?
    Annie

• dave5b
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    I think I'll be able to make it this year! Will bring:

assorted ferns,
    ground covers; LoV, vinca, sweet woodruff
    Jack-in-the-pulpit
    hosta
    daylilies; I'll try to find the names

Am looking for
    white cone flower
    a non-white yarrow

Dave

• kimmid
    14 years ago

This is my first swap and with a new (very new, like this weekend and last) garden I will be bringing myself and my family and lots of yummy goodies.
    I know I have a few things that people have said they would bring for me.. yeahhhhh.. here is what else I am looking for
    Hostas (just a couple more)
    Peter i would love some of the Raspberry.
    My husband would love some Lily of the Valley
    I am also looking for veggie plants and herbs.. but especially veggies. Nothing took in all the seeds i did!!
    And I would really love a peony, a red one but at this point any one (they are one of my faves)
    I have a few more wants but not enough space to put them this year.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hi Dave,

I'd be interested in Daylilies and will bring you a division of a yellow yarrow. I may have a small division of paprika yarrow too.

Kimmid, I have a few starts of different hosta for you.

Lisa

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello All,

I can't wait to meet everybody on Sunday. You all have so many intersting flowers and plants.

I will be bringing Eqytain onion, Rose Campion, Siberian Iris, Southernwood,sundrops, feverfew,chives, spearmint.

I will also be bringing an apple knobby cake and lemonade for the table.

What I am collecting this year are hostas and day lillies. Not that I don't want other plants,I do, but those are my priority. I can't get enough of them becasue I am trying to work my way around a labyrinth that I built a few years ago. So if anyone has any to spare that have not already been claimed, please keep me in mind.

looking forward to sunday

Blake

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kim
    I'll give you a peony. If I don't get to dig it up before you come your husband can dig it up.
    Annie

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

As I was potting up plants for the swap sunday, I was looking at the shady moist partof my yard and it is rather bland. If anyone has any extra plants that might do well in such conditions please think of me. I wouldn't even know what to ask for.

see you sunday

Blake, the hosta and day lilly lady

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Blake
    I noticed on one of your posts that you have catnip. I'd love some . I have your phlox, valarian, and hostas all potted up for you.

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hi Annie,

Thank you for potting it all up!

I will bring you catnip and southernwood.

Blake

• kimmid
    14 years ago

Annie.. i love you!! HAHA My husband might not but i do! He is afraid it will attract ants. I love them!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Annie,

I almost forgot to ask for an addy, I know I didn't save it from last year.

Lisa

• pjhendrick
    14 years ago

Any interest in some strawberry plants. I have more than I can use. Unfortunately, I don't know if they are everbearing or June bearing.
    Thanks.
    Peter Hendrickson
    Milford, MA

• kimmid
    14 years ago

very intersted in some strawberries.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow
    I just added up everyone who said they were coming and it looks like we may have over 30 people coming. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hi Peter,

If you have enough strawberry plants I would love one for my niece, she's three and loves strawberries.

Lisa

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

one bowling ball...check!
    oh, and seeds...I'll bring lots to give away.
    I have plant markers that I'm not using; if anyone's interested in that sorta thing...maybe put them on the door-prize table (?!)
    Ok, gotta get back to housework and get those plants ready to go. See you all tomorrow!
    XOXO,
    Tina

• sicula
    14 years ago

Please I lost directions to Annie's house. Can somebody help? I need directions from Methuen,Ma.Thank you Piera

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

sicula-
    Annie's on Mountain Rd in Goffstown, NH. Did you get directions? Google Maps is usually pretty good; sorry can't be of more help; I'm coming from a completely different direction.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

MM, Annie isn't on mountain road.lol

If anyone needs the addy drop mea line and I'll send it to you, I'm up very early in the morning.

Piera, I'm in Tewksbury if you want to hitch a ride with me. We can meet at the dascomb road exit and you could park at the park and ride.

Lisa

• lilysgarden
    14 years ago

Hi Annie,

Sorry to say, but it looks like Gypsy and I won't be able to make it after all.

We hope to see you in the fall!

~ Lily

• kimmid
    14 years ago

Hope all is well Lily, Sorry i wont get to meet you. If school hasnt killed me by the fall, i will see you then!

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Piera- So sorry for the misinformation! For several years, I've had it in my head that it was Mountain Road. Dopey me! Glad you got directions and made it to the swap!

Thank you again, Annie for another great day. WOW was there a crowd today, or what?! DH had a good time, too! AND THEY PAVED YOUR ROAD!!!!

Hey, Lynn, enjoy that bowling ball! GE Silicone II if the marbles/glass globs are loose. I will try to have another one available for the fall swap.

Annie- I'm glad the 2 vine-towers that I brought for the prize table found a good home. Maybe you'll have a new clematis growing on them next time we come- LOL!

Thank you, Blake for the Siberian iris; KimmiD I now own two of your hostas, and I'm sorry I didn't catch the gals' names who gave me the white veronica speedwell and the lilacs. THANK YOU!

I came home and I can already see things that will be available for the fall swap when I do my usual garden-shuffle in August/September.

Ok, I'm done babbling now; thanks again for a great time, everyone!

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Annie, thanks you and your helpers for a lovely time. It was fun trading and meeting new people. Lunch was delicious. Thanks to everyone who took part.

• kimmid
    14 years ago

I also had a fantastic time!! (I was the newbie with nothing to trade with the husband in the pink shirt and the very tired twin boys). All of your generosity was something that really touched us. We got home and planted almost everything today!! It was nice to see our ranshackled little house start to have a garden.. and not a spot with some plants. It was so nice to meet you all and THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    Kim, Rob, Nik and Aaron

Annie, tell your neighbor Liz (i think that was her name) that I have those irises if she wants them. I dug them up and they are in pots. I will try to get there some day this week but if she is going to be in Manchester, my husband is always at home so if she calls she could stop by.

MMQ, since i didnt bring anything other than food, those hosta werent from me. I dont want to take credit for something I didnt bring!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Annie, Thank you for hosting another great swap. I had a good time and meet some new people. I came home with just about as much as I left with even though I promised myself that I would come home with 1 or 2 plants.

Marsha and Sheila it was a pleasure as usual.

mmqchdygg, it was nice to talk with you this year and thank you for the four O'clock seedlings.

Sinbadsmom(kathie) I'm amazed at the daylilies that you shared with me for the hens and chicks and whatever else I brought for you(i can't remember). I owe you a few at the next swap you attend.

everyone else, see you in the fall!

Lisa

• blaketaylore
    14 years ago

Hello Gardeners,

Well, I asked for hostas, and did I get hostas! Thanks to everyone who shared their beautiful plants with me.
    Annie, you have a beautiful garden and home. I especially loved your huge orange poppies. I was so surprised by how many people were there and yet, Annie, you had everything running so smoothly. I guess you have done this before!
    Michael and I had a wonderful relaxing time, sitting under the tree and talking to people as we traded our plants. Lunch was great. The onion soup was delicious.
    Annie, thank you again for hosting this. I had so much fun!

Blake

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

kimmid- Apparently the hostas that I got at the end out of the center were actually tagged FOR you; are you near Concord? I could meet you somewhere. If not, I'll give them a home for the summer, and bring them back to the fall swap for you.
    Sorry about that! Thanks, Lisa, for letting me know!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Mmqchdygg, Please keep the hosta and I will replace them in the fall.

Lisa

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Ok, but now I have guilt.

• dfaustclancy
    14 years ago

Hello Annie and all,

Thank you so much for hosting. Your garden is scrumptious. My husband and I really enjoyed walking thru your fabulous oasis. Your whole property is just sooo lovely. We enjoy coming every time, even though we can't mnake it every year. I loved the french onion soup, and the lentil veggie, yummo. Can I please have the recipes???
    I got so many nice plants. I finally learned not to be a piggie at the swap -- it takes some doing... restraint!!! I kept thinking of all the holes I would have to dig. Or rather, the holes hubby would have to dig!!! I planted a bunch of things today (sans hubby) he was on the golf course, and my back is aching, but my heart is full.

Peter from Milford - I think you were supposed to get one of my heliopsis but somehow didn't happen. I'll bring you a mega-bunch in fall if you can make it. So nice meeting and talking with you too.

Thanks everyone for your generosity and the feelings I got of community were precious to me.

Lisa - I think Annie does a great chicken salad too! :-)

Love to all,
    Debra

• kimmid
    14 years ago

mmq, please dont feel guilt on my part.. it is so not a big deal to me. I was so happy to be able to come and meet so many people who are interested in doing this and who were willing to give us so many gorgeous plants. I appreciate it so much.
    We bought our house last year, by the skin of our teeth. It was a terribly neglected foreclosure and we have so much work to do inside and out. The house will take years but the yard is coming together i am happy to say. I will have to post pics. so please dont feel any guilt.. enjoy them.

• sasha_nh
    14 years ago

Annie,

Thanks again for hosting one of my favorite days of the year, Sheila and I always have so much fun. The two extra sisters loved it too.

Tina and Liz I'll try to bring Raven's Wing to you in the fall, if not then next spring. (sorry about the mix-up Liz). Sinbadsmom thanks so much for all my new plants hope you enjoy yours. Lisa and Beth keep in touch. See you all in the Fall

Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for coming. What a wonderful group we had. The final total was well over 40, more than we ever had before. Thanks to Eva and Micky everyone was able to park. These two gals were my lifesavers. They parked you, told you what to do and let me have the fun stuff to do.I couldn't have managed the crowd without them.
    Some of you complimented me on being so well organized. Well unfortunately not organized enough. I forgot to put the iced tea and lemonade that someone brought out on the food table and didn't find it in the refrigerator until the next day. Blake ,I think you were the one who brought the lemonade. I wish you had poked me in the ribs and asked me where it was. Next time I will make a list of what everyone brings and will make sure it gets out on the food table.All the food you guys brought was delicious. As you may have noticed there were very few left-overs.
    Also I was very happy that all of the plants that you guys brought and that I dug from my garden found new homes. Usually many plants are left over but this year we had a lot of "new bees" so all plants found good homes.
    I got some really great new plants. 2 or 3 trillium,jack in the pulpit ,catnip which my cat loves, some southwood which I had never heard of before, some yellow raspberry plants and a big bag of blue campanula. also I received some pink batchelor buttons which I planted but now can't remember where I put them. Marsha, you will have to find them for me when you return in the fall. I also received several other plants that I know I never had before but I have forgotten who gave them to me and what they were.I'm putting stakes by them and will enlist your help in identifying them in the fall.
    Another 2 months and we will be planning our fall swap. Until then have a great summer.
    annie