SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisygirl1972

Newbie help for a big empty Ohio yard!

daisygirl1972
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm so excited that I just found this site! I've just moved back to Ohio after 10 years in Virginia and have a lovely 1/4 acre yard that's just *screaming* to be planted!

Right now I have one each of the following trees: Sugar Maple, White Dogwood, Apple, Peach, Bing Cherry, Pear, a false orange (I guess that's really a shrub?) and an amazing concord grape arbor!

I also have a 100 ft long, 15 foot tall evergreen shrub acting like a fence around one edge of my yard that I can't identify - all I know is that the flies (ew!) love it.

I'm looking for ideas for flowers and veggies. This post could have gone in accessible gardening as well, as I have difficulties bending/crouching - but I'm willing to push it a bit to have a nice garden. I'm hoping that by having multiple smaller garden plots I'll be able to accommodate this.

What I would love are ideas for the following things: flowers/shrubs that will attract honeybees and hummingbirds. I actually had 3 nesting pairs of hummingbirds this past summer, but by the time I saw them, it was too late to do anything really but put out feeders.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should plant and could help me with light/shade requirements I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Wendy Pickering

PS - I don't have much in the way of seeds to give away to thank people for their advice, but I do have some Tulip Poplar and Hardy (they grow in Ohio!) Mimosa seeds :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored