SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

Consider Hiking for gardening inspiration

mdvaden_of_oregon
17 years ago

Anybody else get inspiration from forests, meadows and river areas for planting or design ideas?

I go hiking almost every 2 to 3 weeks. When I head down to the Brookings Harbor Garden Club's garden next week, I'm going to hike in the redwoods again.

There are plenty of natural examples along the trails.

I like the way that trees like vine maple can bend over a stream. That idea can be replicated for a water feature by tilting, bending and pruning a vine maple, birch, or other tree.

Rock and boulders tend to deposit in streams a certain way - that can be copied in a home creekbed.

Anyhow, for some poople, it may not matter.

(But it might get them in better condition for gardening : - )

Eagle Creek has always been a favorite near the Columbia Rive.

Although, I enjoy several. I just hiked up the the Bigfoot trap, a couple of weeks ago. The trail is about 20 minutes down the road in the Rogue River National Forest. It may be my last hike up that trail, since out house in for sale, and we plan to move near Hillsboro. So I took a few last photos for my hiking trail webpage - its on Collings Mountain Trail; if anyone ever is down here and want to see it.

It has a nice stream that offers a few ideas for water feature arrangement - like the intermittent bedrook along the bottom.

Comments (5)