SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamjam_gw

Berries + Garden Centre Duds

jamjam
16 years ago

Has anyone successfully grown any type of more inland berry in PNW? We have a Saskatoon berry bush that has been there for six or seven years and has NEVER fruited. Still a runt of a plant. Our blueberries last year totally died. I want to try goji berries since I love eating them dried but I'm in the mood for a quick payoff. So I'd basically like to try any berry plant that would result in berries this summer. Even if I have to spend more and buy a more mature plant.

Sorry to be whining! It just seems like a lot of the fruit bushes and plants from the Garden Centre turn out to be duds- we had one fig tree that we planted that turned out to be wrong for this climate, a cherry tree that hasn't seriously given fruit for five years, and a pear tree with a really low yield. I heard from a professional landscaper that sometimes local garden centres will just sell product that comes up from California to make a quick buck and don't just rely on what is best for the climate. Its such a bummer to have so many plants that haven't lived up to their potential.

In the case of berries, I am wondering what your experiences are, and if there are any particular varieties or strategies that you guys particularly recommend. Thank you, thank you- in advance!

Comments (16)