SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanne_gw

evergreen climber for part shade

Hanne
17 years ago

I have a chain link fence by my neighbour's shed. He is a retired mechanic who takes in odd bodywork jobs. He used to store scrap metal behind his shed, among tall evergreens that more or less hide the mess. Lately he started leaving it up front, right by my fence, in plain view.

I planted some shrubs and attached bamboo curtains to the fence as a temporary, and ugly, solution. Still better than the scrap metal! This is a mostly shady and moist area. It gets light and a few hours of sunshine except in the summer when the gunnera is fully grown. I am looking for a fast growing, evergreen climber that would allow me to remove the bamboo curtains as soon as this year.

To plants the shrubs I placed a small retaining wall against the fence and added soil to avoid excessive moisture to the roots. I was thinking of using the hollow of the blocks to plant English ivy. Does anyone have a better solution?

Vinca major is another option. I have some that is quite grown and needs to be removed from its present site.

I put a lot of work in that part of my garden. It used to be always flooded, so I filled it in with lots of sand and compost and made a wetland garden. It is very upsetting to see fenders and rusted truck doors instead!

Comments (10)