SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyciaadamo

hvx please help!!!!!

14 years ago

I only have the one picture because I seem to have misplaced my camera in the last ten minutes. I was wondering if this Guardian Angel had HVX? It came with 4 other plants, when I find my camera I will take pics of the questionable leaves of the others as well.

Comments (20)

• 14 years ago

No, that's not HVX. It is stress from something - not enough water or too much heat - forgot which, but no worries in my opinion.

• 14 years ago

and ... based on that pic.. its NOT GA either ...

a better pic might change my mind ...

ken

• Related Discussions

hvx on komodo dragon? and a general hvx question

Q

Comments (2)
    Think the damage on Komodo Dragon is weather realated not HVX. As far as HVX being transmitted from a plant in a joint bed, if someone is digging in the bed, and cuts the roots of a diseased and healthy plant, the disease can be transmitted, or by somebody weed-whacking, or cutting scapes etc. It does not spread just by touching, it is by sap that the disease is passed on.
    ...See More

Please help, HVX?

Q

Comments (8)
    They are all gorgeous plants that look like they do go through a color change to get the white line similar to Deja Blu. I don't see any obvious signs of HVX in your other pictures. I do agree your first two single leaf pictures look suspicious but sometimes the weather causes weird things to happen. I would keep an eye on it for the next couple years and if you can, test for HVX. It is really too beautiful to just throw away without knowing for sure if it is infected. Vanessa
    ...See More

HVX!? Please help

Q

Comments (5)
    This looks a lot to me like fast growth, or lacking nutrients. It does not look to me like HVX. If these are new leaves that popped up pretty fast they will go back to normal shortly after getting the nutrients they need. I had a hosta do this a few weeks ago and it freaked me out. After having a few people look at it I learned something new :) I'm not an expert, and you'll probably see me asking the "is it HVX" question here at some point.
    ...See More

Help - does my striptease have HVX?

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't see any sign of HVX...just normal, odd color changes that Striptease often shows. Especially this time of year when the plants are starting to go dormant. HVX is pretty distinct in Striptease. Google Hosta Virus X and you will find pictures of infected Striptease.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

I agree, not GA and not HVX.
    Looks like possibly late spring frost.

• 14 years ago

Ken-That was the first thing I thought when I took it out of the box. But then I thought maybe it was similar to Liberty-what I mean by that is the immature plant looks so much different than the mature plant? I looked up some pics online and some seem to look like the pale streaking isn't very pale at all, So I was maybe thinking that it will get the streaking later on? Maybe?

These are some of the other ones I got with it.
    cracker crumbs

Carnival

Guardian Angel

some outside pics in the sun of all of them
    Top Alligator shoes, Cracker crumbs, bottom Guardian Angel, & Carnival

same here but at the very top On Stage

• 14 years ago

Those of you in the know: I'd really love to get your opinion too; many of my hostas are also showing this type of leaf discolouring this year.
    We have had a very wet, very humid summer here in Connecticut, so I don't know if that has any bearing on the matter.
    The AHS recently mentioned some new, cheaper(?!) HVX test strips which I will save up for if you think it's necessary. I'd have to buy 25 of them because of the number of plants I need to test. You can buy in multiples of 5 test strips which of course is more expensive than buying 25 at one time. I'd rather not have to spend the money! So if you can put my mind at ease, that's at least four more hostas I could buy with the money I'd expected to spend on test strips!

Jakki

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX ImmunoStrips

• 14 years ago

when hosta come up in the very early spring... they can grow so fast.. the colors just dont seem to come out true .... and this can be affected by heat.. drought.. rain.. etc ... i just call it a 'growth phase' ....

in july/august.. there is a new flush of growth .. and the same thing happens.. based on the same factors...

IT IS NOT A 'WORRY' THING ... until the new leaves have had time to fully mature .... then we make our decisions ...

in the pix .... you have two problems ...

one.. you dont know how the plants have been raised or perhaps forced .... too much shade is a good growing platform.. but can interfere with proper color .... all the plants look improper in regard to color.. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT .... as long as other signs of problems are not there.. I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER SIGNS ...

and two.. the bigger problem is that you went for price over size .... [i am the same way.. i have more time than money] .... and in that regard .... IMMATURE PLANTS DO WEIRD THINGS .... its just too soon to tell much of anything ...

i will yell... I NEVER.. EVER.. EXPECT MUCH OF ANYTHING ON NEW PLANTS.. other than living.. next year will tell all.. if you can get them through winter .... heave on small plants is a big issue for me ....

i am glad you did not post supplier names in regard to concerns about health.. since i see nothing wrong ...

i am glad you are concerned.. i am glad you are willing to ask and learn ... but on some level.. you dont have to worry ... IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER ... if you didnt.. then we understand why you have to worry ....

I THINK THAT COVERS IT ALL ...

nope... the test strips.. really.. $5 to test a $10 plant .... not in my yard.. time will tell ... and i will buy a new plant.. if i have to throw these away ... YOU WILL SEE THE PROBLEM.. long before you need to test ... and if you see the problem.. you really dont need the test.. eh .... there is no such thing as a prophylactic test.. when there is a margin of error .... actually.. whats the point.. when the strips only test for one of a couple of the viruses ... go figure on that ...

ken

• 14 years ago

Thank you so much Ken I really appreciate your knowledge. I think I am just prone to overreacting because I am new to this and don't want to screw it up. I certainly don't mind waiting for the plants to mature-besides it's all part of the fun seeing all the changes. I have to say all the people I have bought from have been helpful as well and I am so thankful that I have been lucky enough to deal with such good people, even after I have my plants and all is said and done everyone has been very helpful.

• 14 years ago

Alycia, there's nothing in any of these pictures that reminds me of HVX. I do wish to make comment however on the potting medium you have in the pots, it looks too dense to me for proper drainage. Matter of fact, it looks to me as if you used soil from the garden. Garden soil is fine right where it is, but the medium you use in pots has to take into account proper drainage and air exchange, something you will NOT get using regular garden soil.

Pieter

• 14 years ago

Yeah I had to order in a dump truck load of dirt. I am not to crazy about it and neither are some of my plants. I had so many beds to put in that it was WAY to expensive to buy bagged dirt and soil from Walmart. Some of my plants are flourishing and some look stunted. Once all my beds are in I am going to get several bags of soil from Walmart and mix it in where the rest of the plants are going. There are a few plants that seem to be growing up instead of out-I have 8 blue fairy spirea and ALL are very different. I never really thought about it before. It makes sense. Most are very tall but thin but then I have a couple that are short and fat;) The important thing though is the Hostas don't seem to mind it. I bought a Heatwave in the end of June and it was a tiny thing and now it has tripled in size, I was surprised it grew so quickly. I'm not too worried though they all seam to be dealing with it. I'll just make sure I go and replant my lavenders so they don't drown this winter. Thank you.

• 14 years ago

Thank you for your comments, especially about the test strips. I was going to buy them to test several plants which have the same striations as Alycia's 1st and 4th photos. I can probably hold off on that!

I'd like to weigh in with a comment on bagged bagged soil. In my experience, you get what you pay for - and the bagged soil from Walmart is pretty much rubbish.

I think I would rather put down a layer of cardboard, healthy garden clippings and leaves, etc than buy the bagged stuff.

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Jakki

• 14 years ago

lets define some terms...

SOIL is mother earth ...

MEDIA is what goes in pots ...

DIRT is what is all over you or the house.. after you play in the two above ...

soil is NOT a potting media.. FOR THE LONG RUN .... week or 2.. who cares... but not long ...

potting media is DESIGNED.. to hold water.. shed water ... increase air to roots.. hold nutrients.. and be low in weight ... [ever move a couple hundred pots??? dirt is heavy ]

MEDIA is manipulated.. depending on the plant in the pot ...

trees/conifers.. want a sip a water.. and the majority of the water is shed ...

aquatics want the opposite ...

perennials and annuals are HEAVY water users ... and fert ... and prefer to have a lot of water available ...

how plants and pots make it through winter .. is or can be dependent on the media used .... too much water.. late in the season and roots rot ...

new beds.. new soil.. recently acquired plants... hard to define what is going on.. and why they might be struggling... it may or may not be a function of solely the soil ... maybe yes.. maybe no ...

too much coffee.. cant remember my point.. lol ... oh. just defining some words ...

and dont get me going on using COMPOST as mulch.. or vice versa .... compost is SUPPOSED to be incorporated into the soil.. but may be used as a mulch.. but mulch is NEVER incorporated into the soil ... or it should be called compost ... it is a function of its state.. at the point of use .... compost is already decomposed mulch at times ...

words mean things.. and when you start thinking about what you need.. and can pin point the word that is special. .... then you can start delineating the variables you need to address ...

buying soil by the truck.. used to involve.. for me ... visiting every dirt farmer or seller ... in a ten to 20 mile radius .... holding .. smelling... squishing and investigating all the various soils available ...

good soil ... smells organic ... and when damp.. holds together like a snowball.. but crumbles or releases quickly... meaning the soil is friable... which would be just about the opposite of clay .... sand does not snowball ... and those are the 3 variables on soil analysis [sand, clay and silt --- google SOIL TRIANGLE for a pic] .... but i digress ....

ken

PS: boy.. talk about going off topic.. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: friable???

• 14 years ago

Would someone please explain how the markings on the leaves in Alycia's first picture differ from the markings you get on the leaves of a plant with HVX.

I thought that's what HVX looks like - and I don't want to pull up otherwise healthy plants.

Thank you!

Jakki

• 14 years ago

Jakki, please don't pull your plants out on the basis of some undefined markings. Sometimes HVX shows clearly on a plant; other times, irregularities can be attributed to a host of other causes. Buy a testing kit from Agdia.com, and run some tests. Then you'll know for sure. The cost per test is only $5, and that's cheaper than a new hosta. Good luck. Lois

• 14 years ago

For what it's worth, I've bought a lot of hosta over the years, and the markings you see on the first photo are pretty darn common on new purchases...and are most obvious when the hosta leaves are of a plain color because you're not distracted by wonderful streaks and markings.

I don't know exactly what it is other than the plant has been grown and put in a pot by someone...has been sent on trucks & traveled a long way...handled, manipulated, and moved around in unnatural ways by many people for the purposes of looking it's best so you will buy it.

Just plant it this year. Take care of it. The leaves will look fine next year when it cozies up in it's new home in the ground.
    Gayle

• 14 years ago

link for jakki below ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 14 years ago

The plant that was sold as GA (but is not) is most likely just fine. However, the Cracker Crumbs is showing signs of nematode infestation. You will want to keep it potted and quarantined. Since one variety clearly has nematodes, the others are all suspect, so the entire batch should be kept potted and quarantined at least until next summer. Put a barrier under the pots to prevent the nematodes from leaving the pots--saucers or trays of water will do the trick.

• 14 years ago

Ken - thank you for the link! Most of the plants I was worried about look like the Guardian Angel. I will have to admit that some of the green leaved hostas in that link seemed to me to have similar markings - most were quite obvious in their distinctive HVX markings.

As suggested by Lois, I think I will buy a few of the test strips so that I can be sure.

I am becoming more and more convinced of the importance of buying only from reputable growers. All the posts about nemetodes and HVX point so strongly in that direction. I am also designating a small bed for quarantining new plants. Although I don't have a lot of room to do this, it just seems prudent!
    Once again, I thank all the people who haunt this site for their care and knowledge so freely shared. It is a great place to spend time!
    Jakki

• 14 years ago

i am sorry.. i dont see nems in CCrumbs.. in either pic ... but they arent in focus ..

how about a focused pic of just CC

ken

• 14 years ago

This is a crop of one of the CC pictures.... sure looks like FN to me...

Pieter

• 14 years ago

Yes they are nematodes at least it looks like it to me. I have them all potted away from my other plants. I have others that I am watching as well. It' is starting to look like I am going to have very eventful spring and summer next year!