SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamageph

The Ivy Must Die!

mamageph
18 years ago

Howdy! I'm new here and have a question about killing this stupid stupid English Ivy in my yard, which I hate with a white hot hate of one thousand suns.

I have tried pulling. I really have. But we have very clay soil, and I just do not have what it takes to get it all up. And with two small children to chase, by the time I get a chance to come back to what little I've done, it has all grown back.

I have read that ivy can eventually die out if repetedly mown. If I get out my brush mower and whack it all, then cover the ground with cardboard, newspaper, clippings, and more top soil, then carpet the whole shebang with sod grass (I am looking at expanding out our usable yard anyway) what are my chances of killing it, since it will get mown all the time even if (when) it pushes through the mulch?

*How's that for a run on sentence?*

The garden beds I want to keep are just now being invaded by the vines, and I can handle fighting that fight. But the area that's really bad is simply beyond my ability to pull. I can't afford a landscaper to do it, and no way am I asking friends and family to go through that. Can I just carpet the area with layers and sod? Or am I dreaming an impossible dream?

Thanks!

Comments (12)