SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
upnort_gw

must read-excellent hosta book

upnort
15 years ago

Working in a library gives me quite the opportunity to research Hosta books and yesterday I received what I concider the best out there. The title is "The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas" by Diana Grenfell & Michael Shadrack. This is Diana's best work yet. Written in 2004 with more than 750 plants and 407 pages. The forward is written by HRH the Prince of Wales. There are 12 chapters, the first 5 being Hostas in the wild, Hostas in the west, cultivation, gardening with Hostas,& pests diseases and other threats. THEN it gets good! The chapters are broken down NOT in alphabetical order but by COLOR! Hostas with greens leaves, Hostas with chartreuse, yellow and gold leaves, Hostas with glaucous blue, blue-gray, blue-green and gray -geen. Hostas with marginally variegated leaves, Hostas with medio-variegated leaves, Hostas with streaked, stippled, flecked, marbled, misted, and unusally marked leaves, and Hostas for connoisseurs. Each chapter contains breeder and year, name, origin, clump size and habit, description, comments and special needs, distinguishing features, similar hostas and a great photo of each one! Also included is Best Hostas for different purposes, where to see hostas, sources for and societies and other resources. The price of the book is $49.95 BUT your local library can inter-library loan it for you (as I did) if they dont own it. This book helped me so much that Im asking Santa for it this yr. Im no longer standing in my yard scratching my head saying "I just know I haVE a hosta with creamy edges" and spending all day looking for it because now I know that Antiochs cream color turns white. Other books Ive read say theyre either cream or creamy white, NOT they turn white!!! Anyway, hosta lovers will love this book!

Comments (10)