SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gflame_gw

Las Vegas wind and winter freeze questions

gflame
17 years ago

Been in Las Vegas for a year and am trying to adjust to the crazy conditions. My backyard faces South and has a completely unobstructed open desert view. It's beautiful but the wind is unbelieveable (and I am from Chicago). Everything I buy gets blown over, blown in the pool, blown into the house. I had some nice potted mini palm variety trees. The wind whipped all the leaves into a frenzy and it died within a week of purchase. I've now gone with deep rooted plants only to have the wind blow all the dirt out of the pot and tilt the plant over with roots exposed. Any suggestions for helping these plants survive and stay strong enough for the wind?

Also had to deal with this past harsh winter that killed half my landscaping. I have one tree in front that landscapers swear is alive (he scraped bark from the base). The poor thing has dried up fern like leaves and the branches break easily and are as dry as a bone. Anyone know how to tell if it's really dead or alive? Is it dormant? How long do I give it before giving up--all the other neighborhood trees have begun blooming. Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored