SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seven333

Looking for suggestions

seven333
14 years ago

My wife and I had a house built about a year and a half ago in Chester County, PA, about an hour west of Philadelphia. The lot was (and still is to some extent) wooded, entirely hardwood including cherry, oak, hickory, maple, etc. The required basin has very steep sides and is just about impossible to mow on a routine basis. In fact, I haven't mowed it since last October. The grass that the excavator planted didn't come in very well and the whole basin is being returned back to "wilderness" but I fear that a lot of the plants are weeds and/or non-native species. I'm looking for suggestions on what to plant there after I mow everything down in a few weeks. I really don't want to buy and plant many trees or shrubs, but was looking for some native grasses and ground covers. There are some nice tall grasses growing along some of the highways here that I would just love to plant but I'm not sure what they are or if I can just harvest the seeds from the seed heads. Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored