SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

tell me about fruit trees (Boston area)

leira
14 years ago

We'd like to plant a fruit tree this year. I think the top contender is a peach, but we're open to suggestions.

We live in the city, so our yard isn't very big. Because of this, we probably only want one tree, and we probably want some sort of dwarf variety. I say that we only want one tree, but it's also true that our neighbor, with and even smaller yard, has 3 trees...so maybe I'm more conservative than I need to be.

I know that certain types of fruit trees, such as apples, require a second tree (or a grafted tree) for pollination. I understand that peaches don't require this, but I also know that apples keep a lot longer than peaches, which is one of the reasons that I keep coming back to that.

We also don't expect to be in this house forever, so getting a tree that will start producing fruit sooner rather than later is particularly attractive.

I'm also a little unclear about "dwarf" and "semi-dwarf" and other things such as "li'l big" that I've seen in some of the gardening catalogs. I'm sure I don't want a full-sized tree, but beyond that, I don't quite know what I should aim for. I'm not even quite sure where to start.

Is there any place in the greater Boston area (preferably to the north rather than to the south) where I could go buy fruit trees in person, and speak to knowledgeable staff?

Can any of you help me more?

Thanks!

Comments (9)