SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

My sad azaleas, thoughts on changes this season

kpaquette
12 years ago

Hi all...I was out doing some cleanup in my garden today...so beautiful outside! (albeit a tad breezy) Of course my wheels are turning trying to decide what little changes I'll be making this year...I plan on totally redoing my hottest bed to have a cutting garden, and I am going to probably attempt a climbing rose on my arbor.

I'm an infrequent poster so I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but I am a newbie gardener who had my entire garden installed (By Avant Gardens in Dartmouth MA.) This is the start of it's 4th season in the ground.

There are a few things that haven't really thrived - I can't get my clematis to do much of anything (both on the arbor, and on 3 trellises we have as a divider to the house that sits in our garden. So this year I'm going to try a rose on the arbor and climbing hydrangea on the trellises (they're shaded by that neighbor's house.)

I have a couple of azalea 'klondyke' that were put in and I swear they haven't grown one inch since. There were originally three, but one died after the first winter so I replaced it, but with a 3rd spirea since I wasn't that crazy about the azaleas to begin with. The blooms are a beautiful mango color but they are so short lived and the plants just look sad the rest of the time. The remaining two are still kinda pathetic looking. So I'm thinking of giving them away to see if they like a new home better, and trying something else...what other shrub is interesting and likes shade? In that bed I currently have 2 spirea, a stewartia tree, and an amsonia. (which I love.) But the two azaleas are to the shady side of the bed (shaded by that house) so don't see much sun at all.

Any input would be appreciated!

Comments (20)