SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden4wildlife

Why won't my clethra bloom already?!

garden4wildlife
18 years ago

I have a 4 foot tall Clethra alnifolia in a 5 gallon pot. It's been in that pot since March (I'm waiting to plant it when it gets cooler - I didn't plant it when I first bought it, and shortly thereafter found out I would be moving in summer, so it's just stayed in the pot). The soil it's in is Miracle Grow moisture control. It's getting mostly shade in the morning and indirect sun in the afternoon.

In early July, it put out around 2 dozen stems with many buds on each...then it just stopped. It's been probably 6 weeks now, and the buds have not opened, have not changed size, and have not even yellowed/fallen off which is what I would expect if there was some kind of problem. In the past few days, they've started drooping but they're still the same green color they've been all along and they don't look withered or dried up at all. So what is going on here? Is it normal for Clethra to take so long to open? Why are the buds beginning to droop? This is my first Clethra so I don't know what to expect, and I'm fretting over my new plant - I was really looking forward to seeing it (and smelling it) in bloom!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH